Damselflies in the backyard

Since there are not many birds in our area in the middle of summer, and I really don't feel comfortable getting out too much in the current conditions I feel fortunate to have some Damselfly's hanging around.

I know these are far from what the marco folks can produce, but I really am enjoying this 105. I'm still struggling with steadying the perch - bush in this case. I picked up a couple Wimberly Plamps and used wifeys tripod to mount them to & steady a couple branches but getting a wild insect to land where I'd like it to is a skill I have yet to master. :)

50185688657_542a08867e_o.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

50189779152_2941fb1a02_o.jpg

50188853333_2d2c4825d7_o.jpg

50185787603_210944a2fb_o.jpg

Last edited:
more...

50186327471_2c1c542f28_o.jpg

50185782137_54c7f8158d_o.jpg

50185785838_2dd3541a0a_o.jpg

50188853333_2d2c4825d7_o.jpg

Real Name
Randy
Phil I got news for you, these are as good as it gets, great job
the D850 is a great camera for macro

These are beautiful, Phil! I love that close up that begins the second post. This dragon looks like he was very cooperative!

Thank you Dossy. There are actually about a dozen or so of these guys in the yard curently. I just noticed them over the weekend. As long as I move really slow and and approach slowly, they do not seem bothered.

Phil I got news for you, these are as good as it gets, great job
the D850 is a great camera for macro

Gosh Randy, that's very kind. Thank you!
Strangely, I have a D850 and rarely use it because most of what I enjoy shooting is birds and in our area, it's really difficult to get close so my crop bodies see the most action. I have to admit, these files are pure joy to work with - aside from the size. ;-)

Again, thanks!

Last edited:
I'm still working these images, so here's another.

50189409038_84c90b2016_o.jpg

Here's one from lunch break today.

50189482268_1b718c5c13_o.jpg

All pictures are sublime.
Are you working in manual focus ?
Nicely done. ?

Thank you, Boblou that's very kind.

By & large, I'm using AF and occasionally use manaul override (more often with the Z6 than D850 because it gives the green box when optimal focus is achieved).

Nice set. It's easier to get pictures of them where they land rather than trying to get them to land where you want. I imagine that's a bit like herding cats ;).

As already pointed out, these are damselflies. I think it's Dusky dancer, Argia translata.

Dragonflies rest their wings perpendicular to the body. Damselflies parallel to the body, and they are smaller too.

Thanks Alex. Your reply prompted me to investigate the referenced differentiator. I discovered another that, combined with "at rest wing position", should make it easy for "even me" to distinguish them in the future.

The oher one I found is: Dragonflies have much larger eyes than damselflies, with the eyes taking up most of the head as they wrap around from the side to the front of the face. The eyes of a damselfly are large, but there is always a gap of space between them.

Thank you, Alex! :)

Nice set. It's easier to get pictures of them where they land rather than trying to get them to land where you want. I imagine that's a bit like herding cats ;).

As already pointed out, these are damselflies. I think it's Dusky dancer, Argia translata.

Thanks Larry. You're certainly right about that. What I was "attempting" to do was use some tripod mounted clamps to "steady" a couple branches to reduce the effect of the breeze blowing the bush/branch/subject. I got lucky a couple times.

Agreed, it's a definite cat herding exercise.

Outstanding ...

Thank you, Bob. It was quite entertaining.

Last edited:
Even if they fly off when you move too close or too quick, just remain in position not moving. Quite a chance they return to the exact same spot again.
In my experience, this is true of some species in the Family Libellulidae and I've seen it with Beaverpond baskettail but not with damselflies.

Even if they fly off when you move too close or too quick, just remain in position not moving. Quite a chance they return to the exact same spot again.

In my experience, this is true of some species in the Family Libellulidae and I've seen it with Beaverpond baskettail but not with damselflies.

In this case, it is true. Once I figured out where they "like" to perch, it seemed like they would return to that spot.

Sadly, the dozen or so I saw over the weekend were down to one yesterday. It's been a fun & entertaining opportunity to watch them.

Latest threads

Top Bottom