Damsels & Dragons

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Winnie, Jun 14, 2007.

1. Taken over the last few days during a visit to Cornwall.

Emperor Female

Common Blue

Emperor Male - I watched this one catch a Common Darter and devour it in about 2 minutes.

Common Darter

Comments and feedback welcomed. I know the male Emperor shot is a bit busy in the background but I had to shoot it quick as it rarely settled.

Cheers

Alex

2. Yvette

Yvette

Jan 3, 2007
    Texas
    These are great shots Alex. I love the 3rd one.

3. That was quick, thanks Yvette.

Alex

4. degsy_safc

degsy_safc

Jun 12, 2007
    Sunderland UK
    Alex,

These are great - cracking job!!

Out of interest, which lens were you using??

5. OOH, EMPEROR!!! Such a great dragon!

Excellent series, Alex!

EDIT: I noticed you used a flash on #1 & 2. Wouldn´t have noticed it without peeking the exif, looks great! How do you use it?

p.s. tomorrow me and other 13 enthusiastics´re going to travel to Bulgaria for a one week long Odonata hunt. Whopee!!! Hopefully we´ll see Emperor there (we should) :smile:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2007
  6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Really super pics.
    3 is to funny. great shot

7. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    Wow those are great. I don't mind a busy background as long as it is a natural part of the environment and it doesn't take the attention away from the main subject. Anyone who has been out there trying to shoot these critters know how many variables you have to deal with that sometimes you are happy just to get a sharp picture.

8. Thanks.

These were with the Sigma 180mm macro lens.

Thanks Jukka. Have a great trip. I set the SB800 to TTL/BL and then dial down the compensation by about a stop. I also have the flash head at 45 degrees so it's not direct

Cheers

Alex

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2007
  9. Thanks Gale

10. Thanks very much.

It can be a frustrating pursuit but it's what got me into photography 3 years ago. The two female emperors only allowed me one shot before they flew.

Alex

11. Great shots! Dragon flys are so much fun to shoot. What working distance did you have for these shots? Just curious about the 180 Macros.

12. Thanks

Due to the size of them they are often not 1:1 magnification which means even more working distance. I believe the Sigma 180mm has a minimum focus distance of 46cm from the focal plane and I think i worked that out to be about 25cm from the end of the lens. At less than 1:1 I would say about 30cm from the end of the lens.

The downside is that it weighs nearly a kilo andis difficult to handhold so a tripod is really vital. Add the weight of the D200,an SB800 and tripod and it's a heavy setup.

Cheers

Alex

13. It took me years to get even one acceptable picture of this species.

Where in Cornwall were you?

Bob F.

14. I went to Vealand Farm and Dunsdon nature reserves near Holsworthy, which is on the Devon/Cornwall border.

Alex

15. mdsign

mdsign

Jun 14, 2006
    Netherlands
    5,7 & 8 beautifull! I love to find a place overhere with such variety.

cheers, Mark

16. Nice shots. Dragons are, by far, my favorite insect to shoot. Their colors are amazing. Great captures.

17. Thanks Folks, appreciate the comments.

Rich, that's one hell of a kit list, you must be strong :wink::smile:

Alex

18. Good work with those Emperors. I haven't seen one yet this year, but I think they are just emerging in this part of England: even so I'd pleased with a shot half as good as these.

Alan

19. BirdLady

BirdLady

Jan 8, 2006
    Alabama
    Excellent series, Alex!

20. Thanks again for the comments.

Alex