Damsels in the park

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by alanhill, Jun 21, 2007.

1. I went to the park on Sunday afternoon (Moses Gate Country Park in Bolton). I was looking for orchids and dragonflies: but I only saw one distant dragon and my orchid shots were lousy. However the damselflies were working well. A pair of large reds (Pyrrhosoma nymphula):-

MosesGate007_027.

I was surprised to find a few banded demoiselles (Calopteryx splendens) as I have never seen this species so far north before. The males kept their distance, but I was able to get close to a female when the sun went behind a cloud:-

MosesGate007_171.

When the sun came out - it was much more difficult to get close, but quite rewarding:-

MosesGate007_193.

MosesGate007_220.

MosesGate007_209.

MosesGate007_275.

The second shot was taken with D200 & 60mm Micro Nikkor, all others with 300mm f/4 Nikkor on a monopod.

Alan

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2007
  2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Very good:>))))

3. Great series, Alan!

Demoiselles are often very funny to watch, especially when thereĀ“re a bunch of males chaising one female. Must be very stressfull living :smile:

4. Thank you both. I think this may be new colonisation. This little pond had 3 males and 2 females (although there might have been more that I did not see). The males stayed out of camera range, but they stayed quite far apart so I didn't see much action from them - just a few wing flicks.

Alan

5. mdsign

mdsign

Jun 14, 2006
    Netherlands
    nice! I like the train. and love the colors of the 2nd one.

cheers, Mark

6. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    Excellent series. Beautiful damsels.