Damsels of early days of June

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by j.ankanpaa, Jun 6, 2007.

1. Hello all!

This is short of 3rd part of my "first days of June" - trilogy. These were shot between 1st and 5th of June. Normal gears: Nikkor 300mm af-s f4 + Nikon tubes + tripod.

#1 Extremely rare Ischnura pumilio (young female). Isn´t it a beautiful orange?
    050607-6.

#2 Male Coenagrion lunulatum
    010607-3.

#3 Another male Coenagrion lunulatum
    010607-4.

#4 Female Erythromma najas
    010607-26.

#5 Another female Erythromma najas
    010607-23.

#6 Female Calopteryx virgo
    020607-56.

#7 Male Calopteryx virgo
    020607-59.

Thanks for looking! :smile:

2. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    Great shots Jukka. This is going to be a great year for you. The 300 + tubes work great. The colour and detail are magnificent.

3. Excellent detail Jukka.

Do you find it harder to get nice backgrounds with the 300mm when compaed to a dedicated macro lens?

Cheers

alex

4. Tak, Torben!

It sure looks great in here! :smile:

5. Thanks, Alex! :smile:

Hmmm, I haven´t really compared that :smile: But this is what I have read:

"Therefore, the most significant different is focal lenght. Longer focal lenght macros affect two things, 1) working distance, and 2) background control. At the same mag and same f-stop all macros regardless of focal lenght will give you the same DOF, BUT, longer macros, as will ANY LONG LENS, gives you a smaller FOV (field-of-view) which means that longer macros allow you to control background color, blur and help isolate your subject."

P.S. Remember, I said I may have never seen a Libellula depressa? I saw and photographed two this morning, both a male and a female :biggrin:

6. Thanks Jukka.

Wish we were having the same good luck as you. The weather in the UK is cloudy with a bit of wind, not ideal conditions for macros and the dragons don't seem to be flying as much :frown:

I was planning a few days away next week to hunt for butterflies and dragons in the South West of the UK but the forecast is rain so that looks like a no go too!:frown:

I need to find something else to shoot when the weather is like this.

Cheers

Alex