1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Damsels

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by j.ankanpaa, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Hi all!

Here´s some Damsels I shot while chasing River Dragons

3x Immature male Lestes sponsa, a Fairy Damsel, as we call them
    13-140708219.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

13-140708209.jpg

150708013.jpg

Mature male L. sponsa
    13-140708221.jpg

Female L. sponsa
    13-140708213.jpg

Coenagrion pulchellum pair mating
    150708023.jpg

150708025.jpg

3x female Calopteryx virgo
    13-140708201.jpg

13-140708190.jpg

13-140708191.jpg

2x female Calopteryx splendens
    13-140708183.jpg

13-140708187.jpg

Thanks for looking! :smile:

2. photofox

photofox

Jun 8, 2008
    Over here
    Lovely shots with wonderful colours. :) 

3. Thanks, Nigel!

4. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    Hej Jukka. Great shots. Wonderful clarity and light. I seems that the last Demoiselle has some damaged wings.

Lousy weather for the last 10 days but it is supposed to get better next week. Hopefully not too late for another trip to Skåne and try my luck again.

5. Spectre

Spectre

Feb 20, 2008
    Oregon
    Jukka,
    Absolutely beautiful shots! These were all taken with the 300 f/4 with the PN-11.... correct?

6. These are all great Jukka! I love the head on ones, when I shot Damsels a few weeks ago, I could not get myself in position for a head on shot...

7. Jukka! Absolutely beautiful. So lucky to have that many varieties.

8. Tak, Torben!

Yes, she has some damage there, it looks almost wings got burned but ofcourse it´s those pretty common damages they got when emerging...

Fortenately not 10 bad weather days here, but then again this summer hasn´t been that great so far... ofcourse nice sunny days every now and then but it´s still like there´s some sort of background winter chill somewhere in there...

Thanks, Paul!

All except Calopteryx shots were taken with 300mm + PN-11, Calopteryx shots just 300mm. They´re pretty large Zygoptera.

Thanks, Rich!

That was the side of them they were offering to me. Everytime they took off and landed they were facing towards me, so I thought what heck, if that´s the way you like it, then be it... :smile:

9. Thanks, Birgit!

Well, we have only 18 Damsel species here and I think that´s not really much :wink:

10. Wonderful shots again, Jukka. I like the pastel look of the first image, and you got a bonus little creature down lower on the same plant. All the shots are great.

11. Thanks, Tom!

I really loved the lightning when I shot some of those L. sponsas: it was just minutes before rain... it was really a pastel moment... although a bit too much wind, but the light was beautiful...

There´re 5 of those little creatures there, only one of them got wings... I wonder what happened after I went away:smile:

12. 3whiteroses

3whiteroses

May 23, 2008
    Maryland
    Great photos!

I'm still learning - can you tell me what a PN-11 is.

Thanks,

13. Thanks, Anglela!

A PN-11 is a Nikon´s extension tube. It´s a very old desing and I´m not sure can you have that as new any longer. Lot of people use Kenko´s tubes which support exposure matering and (not sure) even AF on every Nikon camera.

As PN-11 has no any kind of electrical contacts it basically makes any modern lens as an old un-chipped MF lens. D200 (maybe D100 too) and camera above that are able to meter still. That´s also the biggest reason to use it instead of Kenkos, it´s really a problem free...

Well, tubes reduce the minimum focusing distance of the lens so that you can have more magnification.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.