1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Damsels

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by marine 337, Oct 12, 2018.

1. OLY27295.JPG
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
    OLY27297.JPG
    OLY27301.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  2. Terrific set Ken, with the last one being my favorite, excellent job.

3. Thx Louie-----using an Oly em1 60mm macro. Thinking of getting a Nikon 85 micro for my d500---any thoughts???????
    Ken

4. Excellent detail on the Damsel.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  5. Very impressive. The detail and crispness are excellent.

6. Couple snaps this morn
    OLY27309.JPG
    OLY27332.JPG
    OLY27336.JPG
    OLY27399.JPG
    OLY27405.JPG

7. Nice shots. It's a dragonfly, not a damselfly - a female Blue dasher. I think it must be one of the most photographed dragons in North America because of it's behaviour.
    As for a new lens I'd go for something longer than 85mm if you are interested in small critters. The longer lens you get, the longer the distance you can shoot from, lessening the chance of chasing off your subject. I like a 200mm micro or for larger insects a 300mm with an extension tube.

Larry

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Larry thx for your imput. Was thinking 85 because its a dx to go along with my d500. Begin thinking 105mm-----I'm on the fence now.

ken

9. In my opinion you can't get a too-long lens for insect work. I used the 200 and 300 on a DX camera for a long time before switching to FX. Sigma makes a nice 150mm. If you want to use it for flowers and other things as well, a 105 is a good compromise.

Larry

10. OLY27317el.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  11. Larry I know this is a nikon forum----been using my em 1 with a 60mm----opinions on Oly

12. I don't know enough about the system to have an opinion. You're geting good results, though.

I never stop down past f11 - you get more blur in the background and less diffraction softening. DOF suffers which means having to be more careful with angles or putting up with some parts of the subject being out of focus. To each his own. :) 

Larry

13. Few backyard flyboys
    OLY27532.JPG
    OLY27535.JPG
    OLY27537.JPG
    OLY27542.JPG

14. OLY27604.JPG

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.