Dance Competition Regionals

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by icetraxx, May 2, 2007.

1. icetraxx

icetraxx

May 7, 2005
    Louisiana
  2. GBRandy

GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    These look pretty sharp to me Larry, especially considering the fact these were shot wide open at f2.

ISO 640 looks pretty clean as well....and noise reduction added... or straight from the camera?

The composition is very good but perhaps too many dead on centered....

Overall, I would say it was a very good outing!

3. icetraxx

icetraxx

May 7, 2005
    Louisiana
    Thanks Randy. They were pretty clean out of the camera. I did do some USM and regular sharpening. I did hit them with noise ninja just to even out some of the grain that the USM added. I've found that the 135mm doesn't like iso 800 and above too much. If I can keep the iso between 400 and 640 wide open is not a problem. My 85mm 1.4 is another story. I can hit that one with 1200 and 1600 and get nice results if I nail the exposure.

I do need to work on composition. It's hard to move around in a packed theater. I usually find a place and park it for all of the dances. The angle for a single may not be a good one for a group.

Thanks for all of your help,
    Larry

4. GBRandy

GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    Hummmm Might look like a major geek, but could you use a 300 f2.8 and shoot from the back where you could move around? I did that at a recent concert and it worked out pretty well as the conductor managed to stand directly in front of my daughter on several occasions.

Anyway, I look like a geek even without the camera gear so the transition is pretty seamless for me..... :)

5. icetraxx

icetraxx

May 7, 2005
    Louisiana
    Yup I could. If I had the money for the 300mm I would have the money for the 200mm F2:smile: If I had the money for that I might just make the move to canon. :biggrin: But in my little world I only get to shoot with what the wife says I can get so it's a go with what you got thing. However, if the lighting is good and the girls are wearing a light colored costume I can bring out my 70-200mm but that is a rare occasion.

Larry