1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Dancer ... um, large

Discussion in 'Film Forum' started by Chris101, Jun 10, 2007.

1. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    The image file is large - 600Kb+

[​IMG]

ps, it's a guy.

2. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Chris you are a trip
    Good shot though
    Feet to big to fit in pic...lololol

4. Whatta nice chick, heh Chris? :Wink: LOL

I like the pic... very dynamic. But the girlyman (yuk)

5. "Plucked her eyebrows on the way
    Shaved her leg and then he was a she
    She says, hey babe, take a walk on the wild side
    Said, hey honey, take a walk on the wild side"

6. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Thanks Paul, I always appreciate your viewpoint! I made my jeans more artsy by ripping holes in the knees.

Had this been a portrait of the subject, I would agree - include the entire person and adjust the composition to feature their persona. But it's not a portrait. It's a comment on fetish based sexuality. The subject is not a dancer - well, not a good dancer, but rather a female impersonator doing a strip tease. The clarity of focus culminates on the boots. Having the feet out of the frame creates an unbalanced edge to the bottom of the picture. This is in complete conflict with the natural feeling of the trees in the top of the photo.

That's what's going in the caption anyway. I paid attention in critique class. :Wink: I used a rangefinder to take the picture, and in this situation, the action was random. I knew how close I was going to get, preset the focus and shot point and shoot style, very quickly. The exact framing was left somewhat to chance. I considered cropping to delineate the figure, but, after looking at it for a few hours, decided to keep the balance between the crisp leather at the bottom, cartoon breasts in the middle, and soft aspen boughs at the top.

Here's a foot-intact picture:
    [​IMG]

You know what they say about big feet Gale.

Oh just wait.

Becky's realtor Kathleen is a singer and guitarist in a band and we went to go see her play at Pride in the Pines in Flagstaff. I anticipated there may be a photo opportunity or two, so I took (and shot) plenty of film.

[​IMG]

Doot do do ... :cool: 

7. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

8. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    At least on my part Paul, understanding has nothing to do with it up to the point the exposure gets made. Then I can take my time afterward and analyse what I did. :|

9. Weird fetish aside, the thing I keep looking at is the right boot. The way the shadows play, it's almost as if the foot liquefied into the dance floor.

10. Oh, and please tell me his name isn't Lola!

11. Great shots Chris...in a dark bar one would have to look real close to tell thats a guy. That or try to cop a feel:wink:

12. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

love the thumbs. Maybe trim the trees a little?????

13. Interesting all around.

Finding the drag thing fascinating, I plan on shooting a drag act I know next chance I get. He/she is quite amazing.

I was a big fan of Divine (R.I.P.).

And yeah, I'm an ordinary straight dude.

14. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Thanks y'all!

Yeah, I like the way the leather is rendered in this exposure.

Uh, yeah. :Ouch:

That's interesting, cause I was just listening to that Erwitt thing, and he was talking about how important hands are in people pix.

Oh, next time I'll try to be less indiscriminate in my aim. :Wink:

I'm fascinated by the whole gender blender scene too. Nan Goldin did it really well, so I don't know how much new stuff is there though. I suppose my interest comes from my sister, I mean brother, being transgendered.

ps, I noticed that Ray shot a guy in clown-drag the same day. Cool.

15. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    lol on the BIG FEET, Chris.....:>)))))))

16. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

ok u got me, when u said -> "Dancer ... um, large" i opened this up expecting to see a picture of a very-FAT-chick, notta chick witha d*ck ...ROTFL
    :eek: 

17. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    No, that first use would have been politically incorrect. The second, too, um, revealing. :Tongue:

18. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

Rotfl ....;-))

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.