Dancers (update 13.8)

I'll keep adding pictures of dancers here. It really is my main thing right now and I don't want to start new threads for every new series.

6033340427_6f1cd94ca3_o.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

6036192087_3873d3657e_o.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Lighting setup here.

View attachment 933281

View attachment 933282

View attachment 933284

View attachment 933286

Hope you like them! (I know, about 30% of viewers would have cropped the box in picture 1, but I prefer it this way:wink:). Here is a short blog entry.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like them a lot! I would love to shoot a dancer as well. How did you approach her to shoot, if you don't mind me asking?

Wow...great captures! 30% huh? I like the inclusion of the light. Especially since it showS light on her body.

Edit: how big is the backgound?

Last edited by a moderator:
These are fantastic! Care to share your setup incl. background? Looks like white seamless, but it would have to be huge!

Love love love these, esp. the first 2. Count me out of that 30%! I think the inclusion of the box lends a certain element to the picture. It provides something that makes it seems like she is jumping towards.

Glad you guys like them!

How did you approach her to shoot, if you don't mind me asking?

That one is tricky to answer. Initially, I met her at work and talked her into having dinner with me. We met a few more times and then she moved in with me. That was a few years ago. One day last month she asked if I wanted to take pictures of her dancing and I said yes. Not much help I am afraid:tongue:.

If you don't want to take the girlfriend route, pay a dancer and don't mess up. If the pictures turn out good, other dancers will want some of those too. Be prepared to have an easier time shooting than with models, and a much harder time selecting afterwards. They don't need many instructions but then drive you crazy looking for stuff you wouldn't even think about.

The whole setup can be seen in the first picture! One 150x80 softbox pretty high up, in front of a 3,6m grey seamless, which I had to stretch a bit in post to fill up the frame. As for camera settings, 1/125s at f/8. I put the lightmeter at the point I expected her to reach the highest part of the jump, then set the strobe accordingly. Nothing fancy really.

Nothing more elegant than capturing a dancer in flight. Wonderful job.

These are fantastic Ronnie, thanks for sharing your images and techniques.

May I suggest just adding new images in a post rather than editing the first post. We have a limit on images in a post (which you will soon reach) but you can add more posts with images to your thread.
Also numbering them helps with comments.

Well done Ronnie! I specially like the first image on your 08/13/2011 update. It gives the illusion she was flying in a vast open space! The snooted light for the background adds a great deal of creativity and contrast.
Thanks for sharing your pics and techniques.

Latest threads

Top Bottom