Dancing Sandhills and Snow Geese

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Matt S, May 12, 2007.

1. The area in front of my home is known as the hayflats. It is a tital wetland that draws thousands of geese and sandhill crane every spring as they stop in to feed on their way north. The birds don't stick around too long as there is not much in the way of standing water, the area floods on large high tides and then drains down to grasslands. A few from tonight.

Dancing Sandhills. These are nearly 100% crops so please forgive the fussiness.
    151784746-L.

151785026-L.

This flock of snow geese stirred up when a helicoptor flew over. This is the only time of year I get to see these birds.

151784748-L.

151784715-L.

None of these shots are anything to write home about, but it was a fun night to sit out in the long grass, have a drink and shoot some birds.

2. Matt, I finally made it to Homer yesterday! Saw a few snadhills today and some water birds on a quick boat tour to Gull Island. The weather was perfect.

Made a detour to Deep Creek to shoot eagles.

Thanks for posting ... could watch sandhills all day! And I got nuttin to wrote home about either!

3. You have an amazing front yard. :smile:

4. OOoo, I could deal with some of that, no problem! Fine shots, in my opinion.

5. Glacier

Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    The last two would make stunning prints in my humble opinion. I love em!

6. Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee

May 16, 2006
    Oregon
    Better than Billy Ray on Dancing with the stars:)

7. Hey thanks everyone. I may have to go sit out there with another beverage of choice this evening as well. If I get anything fun I will post it.