Dancing with the Clouds [Warning: 9 colorful images]

H

Harrie Gerrits

Excellent series, my favorite is #4.

Thanks for sharing.

obelix said:
Shahed

Do you use flash at all? The rock photo seems like you used one.
I didn't use flash, check out the exif data.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Exif Data:
Nikon D70 Focal Length: 19mm Optimize Image: Custom Color Mode: Mode Ia (sRGB) Long Exposure NR: Off 2005/06/19 20:34:16.9
Exposure Mode: Manual White Balance: Auto -2 Tone Comp.: User-Defined Custom Curve Compressed RAW (12-bit) Metering Mode: Multi-Pattern
AF Mode: Manual Hue Adjustment: 0° Image Size: Large (3008 x 2000) 1/5 sec - F/22 Flash Sync Mode: Not Attached Saturation: Normal
Exposure Comp.: 0 EV Sharpening: Normal Lens: 12-24mm F/4 G Sensitivity: ISO 200 Image

Stunning shots, Shahed! I lived in Canmore for 5 years in the early 80's. These photos bring back some very fond memories! Thank you!

Very impressive. I love mountain shots and reflections. What a great combo. I can't wait to get up in the mountains again. Thanks for sharing these.

Beautiful captures of the Canadian Rockies. Their majesty is stunning and you've captured it very well. Great composition, exposure and fabulous colour. Keep shooting and sharing with us!

d_ip said:
Let me pick your brain then.

Do you feel the need to use flash for fill at all? Or does GND filters do the job for you always.

And yeah, I see your need for a 3 or even 4 stop GND for these shots, you lost a bit of detail in the shadows by holding the sky well, but hey, these are already close to perfect, if you used a 3 or 4 stop GND, these will be even better.

Next, how do you decide which GND to use? Meter highlights, meter shadows and go with a 1 stop difference?

Thanks for the time, Shahed. You convinced me about GND filters *and* a 12-24 range lens, I have both, now I have to use them :D

R

Removed User 2

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Wow! I'm shocked!
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

obelix said:
d_ip said:
Let me pick your brain then.

Do you feel the need to use flash for fill at all? Or does GND filters do the job for you always.

And yeah, I see your need for a 3 or even 4 stop GND for these shots, you lost a bit of detail in the shadows by holding the sky well, but hey, these are already close to perfect, if you used a 3 or 4 stop GND, these will be even better.

Next, how do you decide which GND to use? Meter highlights, meter shadows and go with a 1 stop difference?

Thanks for the time, Shahed. You convinced me about GND filters *and* a 12-24 range lens, I have both, now I have to use them :D
Hi Anand,
I always like to shoot with the natural (God gifted) light. Every once in a while I use flash to fill the foreground shadow.

You are right on the money about metering. Meter highlight, meter shadows and go with a stop difference. But if you don't have the right filter (For me I need the 3 or 4 stop filter) than meter from the midtone or highlight, depends on the situation. The bottom line is I always try not to blow the highlight. It's very easy to fix the shadow at post-processing.

I'm in love shooting wide with GND. Hope to get some new picture soon. :D

d_ip said:
Hi Anand,
I always like to shoot with the natural (God gifted) light. Every once in a while I use flash to fill the foreground shadow.

You are right on the money about metering. Meter highlight, meter shadows and go with a stop difference. But if you don't have the right filter (For me I need the 3 or 4 stop filter) than meter from the midtone or highlight, depends on the situation. The bottom line is I always try not to blow the highlight. It's very easy to fix the shadow at post-processing.

I'm in love shooting wide with GND. Hope to get some new picture soon. :D
Ah, thanks for the reply. I have been reading too much Galen Rowell :). He seems to have used fill flash quite a bit.

I have bought the thin cokin P holder, which seems to be thicker than cutting the regular holder into two and sawing off the edges like what you did.

I have only bought a 2 stop soft GND filter (hitech) so far. I need to take it out and get some photos. I have a trip to alaska lined up next week :D, getting ready for that, hopefully, I will get a few good ones from there.

Thanks again, Shahed, appreciate all the guidance.

Shahed,

Very nice. I wonder why I am in the office after looking at those. Very, very nice.

I would like to know more about the custom curve, if you would like to share. I love those colors.

Keep up the great work.

Shahad,

These are wonderful photographs. Another time of day would just mean a different looking picture - not better.

As for the ND filter the pictures looks great as they are. Maybe when you print them you could have a problem with range? Is that why you regret not having the ND?

I agree with the other poster who suggests that blending is better than using a filter. It isn't often that the break is a straight line.

While this is a digital camera forum, let me suggest that when faced with a severe contrast situation where something is moving too fast for good matching multiple shots, use film. Then make two scans, one for highlight and one for shadows. Since you only take one shot, your subject can be anything, for example, fast moving birds or clouds. While it is said that pros prefer to have slides to scan, I have had much better success with color negative film for this purpose- seems to preserve both highlight and shadow information better when correctly exposed.

By the way, most of my D70 NEF files seem to have more recoverable highlight and shadow detail than I have a right to expect. CS highlights/shadows does a good job for me almost always.

Sorry to have gone on so long.

John

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom