Dang, I've got a lot of batteries, chargers, and cables

Sheesh. Getting ready to go on a trip where I'm doing some (underpaid) shooting. Two different Nikon battery types, with two different chargers; piles of Eneloops for a couple of flashes, and a requisite AA charger; gotta have a flashlight in the camera bag, with its own batteries; GPS has its own damn cables and charger; and now I even have battery chargers to charge my battery chargers. I have this handy little AA-powered charger for an iPhone/Touch/iPod. Works great. But guess what? More batteries, in order to... charge batteries!

Ugh. And to think I used to think the only thing I needed when I walked out the door was a house key and a pocket knife.

You guys still have corks in your wine? Good grief.:tongue:

I'm in mess currently with 2 systems hanging around until I can sell more stuff, I'm not fond of the situation.

No kidding. My Think Tank pack feels like it loses half of its weight when I get to the hotel room and unload all the chargers and cables.

Douglas Adams on this:

http://www.douglasadams.com/dna/980707-03-a.html

'It's hard to imagine that some of the mightiest brains on the planet, fuelled by some of the finest pizza that money can buy, haven't at some point thought 'Wouldn't it be easier if we all just standardised on one type of DC power supply?' Now, I'm not an electrical engineer, so I may be asking for the impossible. Maybe it is a sine qua non of the way in which a given optical drive or CD Walkman works that it has to draw 600 milliamps rather than 500, or have its negative terminal on the tip rather than the sleeve and that it will either whine or fry itself if presented with anything faintly different. But I strongly suspect that if you stuck a hardware engineer in a locked room for a couple of days and taunted him with the smell of pepperoni, he'd probably be able to think of a way of making whatever gizmo (maybe even the new gizmo Pro, which I've heard such good things about) it is he's designing, work to a standard DC low-power supply.'

At one time I had two dozen orphan wall warts and no idea which device, if any, that I still owned they matched up with. I don't remember ever owning that many electronic devices that required an external AC/DC converter so I suspect there was some cross species breeding going on in the bottom drawer.

I spent an entire day matching those critters with devices. In the end I discarded twenty of the twenty four. And, I've been keeping a close eye on that bottom drawer to discourage any more hanky-panky. :wink:

You guys still have corks in your wine? Good grief.:tongue:

Not that a cork is any indication about how good the wine is, but even 2 Buck Chuck uses corks. :rolleyes:

And I generally prefer the 2 prong cork extractors to a cork screw, except when putting on a show of opening the bottle.

As for the topic of this thread....... I've got soooooo many wall warts, power bricks, and assorted other chargers, that it is sometimes an adventure to find which one I need or figure out which charger goes with which device.

The European Union, always more green than most of the rest of the world, is trying to standardize on just a very few chargers (based on voltage/current requirements) and on the mini (or was it micro) USB connector. Many manufacturers have already standardized on the connector. Apple is really gonna have a hard time trying to stick with their dock connectors.

Plenty of good wine has screw tops -- including some of my favorite Oregon pinots and NZ Sauvignon Blancs.

Fortunately, they don't require batteries!

I just went through the same thing on my trip to Florida. Two Nikon chargers, cellphone charger, laptop, AA battery charger, external drive and an HD camcorder. I just packed a 6 outlet power strip in my suitcase and called it a day. No getting around it might as well lug it down!

Ugh. Just had to add the laptop, its big-*** AC adapter, and a cell phone and its stupid charger.

And this is just sad: I'm taking one of my old bomb-proof Tamrac shoulder bags to carry a couple of extra lenses, flashes, etc. Its "Pop-Off Film Pocket" makes a pretty handy charger bag....

;- (

Not that a cork is any indication about how good the wine is, but even 2 Buck Chuck uses corks. :rolleyes:

And I generally prefer the 2 prong cork extractors to a cork screw, except when putting on a show of opening the bottle.

As for the topic of this thread....... I've got soooooo many wall warts, power bricks, and assorted other chargers, that it is sometimes an adventure to find which one I need or figure out which charger goes with which device.

The European Union, always more green than most of the rest of the world, is trying to standardize on just a very few chargers (based on voltage/current requirements) and on the mini (or was it micro) USB connector. Many manufacturers have already standardized on the connector. Apple is really gonna have a hard time trying to stick with their dock connectors.

I suspect Apple will be able to keep their dock connector on the grounds that it's a data/accessory connector and not just a charging port.

What would be really intelligent of them is to simply add the euro-standard USB connector as a secondary port, just for charging. What they're more likely to do, I think, is to supply an adapter cable that allows charging through the dock connector with a mini-USB. Apple's too afraid of losing accessory royalties to replace their proprietary dock connector with something on an open standard.

We moved recently and I got a small (2 gal) rubbermaid box to put batteries and chargers in. Very quickly found that it was WAY too small. Ended up with a small u-haul box full. Looking forward to the day all this stuff could be standardized! We also have a ton of junk to haul on trips. With a family of 7; three laptops, video cam, dslr, 4 p&s, 3 ipods, 4 cell phones, ipad, wall and car chargers........ ugh. One suitcase just for chargers!!

What would be really intelligent of them is to simply add the euro-standard USB connector as a secondary port, just for charging. What they're more likely to do, I think, is to supply an adapter cable that allows charging through the dock connector with a mini-USB.

I think they've already signed up with the EU to add the port:

http://rpad.tv/2011/01/03/iphones-with-micro-usb-coming-in-2011/

I don't think an adapter cable would meet this requirement (it's yet another adapter, after all!) but my guess is you're right about it being a secondary port for charging only. But will non-EU iPhones include it..?

Just returned from a trip where I realized just how many chargers I needed to have with me just to keep the technology running.

The electronics industry will NEVER standardize chargers and cords as this is where they make the money! Just like the printer industry where they give printers away so you can pay and "arm & a leg" for the cartridges.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom