Dang you bird people...

I stopped at a park today to get a few shots of some flags for a class I am taking. While I was there I saw a bird that I wanted to try shooting. My biggest lens is a 70-200 and no TC.

After looking at a few of the post here I just about talked myself out of posting. But I figure we all have to start somewhere on taking bird photos. So here are a few that I got today.

All of them are in the wild and cropped since I could not get too close before they would fly off.

This is the guy that I saw and wanted the photo of. Since it's a rather public park with plenty of people around each day I expected him to not be so skittish. I did not have the camera up while walking towards him and just pulled it up and shot when he went to flight. It's a bit soft on the bird.

_tsp6291.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The following two shots were a surprise. While walking to the pond this little guy was on the ground. I took a couple shots of him on the ground and then followed him when he took off.

_tsp6278.jpg

_tsp6277.jpg

Then the last bird of the day was a Hawk of some kind. I happened to see him sitting on a tree top watching the area. I got to about 75 feet from the tree when he took off. I did get a few shots of him in flight but he went towards the sun and was really back lit. Between the clouds and the sun they were not really that great.

_tsp6306.jpg

I am still learning on shooting birds. I was using my D300 on full matrix 51 points with tracking. (A sports setting that I have been working with) I am not sure what is best for shooting birds besides a BIG lens.

I have a few more bird shots on my blog from where we visited a zoo in the Palm Springs area on Sat. if you want to look at them then you can visit here http://www.timsappphotography.com/blog I have been using the blog as a running gallery.

There is one bird shot there of a small little owl that was quite a treat. He is blind and the zoo keeps him as a rescue animal. When we got there the owl was on the keepers hand and she was standing right inside the entrance to the zoo greeting everyone showing up.

Tim Sapp

J

Jonboy2312

Those are really nice! Although it seems to me like the focus is a bit off in the first one. My D2H does things like that when it's set to Dynamic Area AF. I prefer using plain ol' single area AF, and select the exact sensor I need on the fly. I don't know if the same applies to a D300, though...

When shooting white birds, spot-meter on the [brightest] white you can see then dial in about 1/3 to 1/2 -EV. This helps stop the whites from blowing and brings out more detail in the feathers. Also shoot using RAW and use CNX - the combination can "rescue" shots that would be "toast" if done in JPEG.

I started with a 70 - 200 and caught many acceptable images using TC17E II on a sturdy tripod & head combination using mirror lock up and a remote shutte release.

When shooting white birds, spot-meter on the [brightest] white you can see then dial in about 1/3 to 1/2 -EV. This helps stop the whites from blowing and brings out more detail in the feathers.

Thanks for this pointer. I have been trying a few different things this couple weeks to see what the camera can do. And having not really shot a bird before I was not sure of the best way.

Also shoot using RAW and use CNX - the combination can "rescue" shots that would be "toast" if done in JPEG.

I always shoot raw with the D300... But I have been using Lightroom and not CNX. I did adjust the exposure a bit in Lightroom and then did a unsharp mask on a layer. I guess I should try it with the exposure a bit lower next time.

I started with a 70 - 200 and caught many acceptable images using TC17E II on a sturdy tripod & head combination using mirror lock up and a remote shutte release.

Yeah a TC is on my list of things to get. But since I do mostly portraiture work it's not as high as other things. I also shot this with hand holding the camera. I did not have a tripod with me at the time as I was heading to work when I saw the flags and started off on this walk.

Again, thanks for the advice.

Tim

I dont' care much for the 3d matrix either. I can only assume I"m using it wrong, but I prefer the single.
Off to a good start though, you'll learn to hate those white birds!! LOL

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom