Dark Building Light Background

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by trynforpar, Aug 28, 2008.

1. I'm sure this has been covered in the past but I need advise. I was shooting an old church building that is constructed of very dark brick. The sky and background buildings were very bright so the result is an underexposed building with overexposed background. How would you correct the exposure for this?

2. Try a different time of day when the sun is shining on the front more directly, or you can take several exposures and create an HDR photo.

3. Well, I think this is a perfect situation for taking a series of bracketed exposures and then using PS or another program and using the high dynamic range blending thingy. The real name is escaping me right now...

4. Camera on a good tripod; expose once for the background and once for the building; blend in PS.

5. iLLMaCK

iLLMaCK Guest

what's the best way to blend two photos in photoshop?

6. iLLMaCK

iLLMaCK Guest

photomatix?

7. Can you blend in NX or Elements?

8. Thank you all for lending your expertise. I will try these suggestions next time. I thought there might be an easier solution but sometimes I guess you have to work at it.

9. kays

kays

Aug 9, 2008
    Maryland
    To the OP...
    Another option is using HDR - High Dynamic Range - techniques. Simply, multiple exposures (2, 3, 4, 5, or more) are shot at differing exposures and blended using software to extract the best exposure for - say the front of the church, the blue sky, the clouds, etc. PS CS3 has an HDR option.

Also look at the HDR work done on Digital Outback Photo http://www.outbackphoto.com/ - Bettina and Uwe Steinmuller have dedicated what seems to be the last year working with this technique - it is fascinating. Good luck!

10. There are a couple of easier solutions, but they won't yield quite as good results as a true HDR merge using different exposures:

1) Expose for the brighter area and bring up the dark area in Capture NX2 with the shadow protection tool. I've being doing this quite a bit lately and it works pretty well.

2) If you shoot in RAW, you can develop two jpegs (again, preferably in NX2) from one RAW file with different exposure settings and merge them using the HDR feature on PS/CS3.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.