Dartfrogs

Discussion in 'Birds' started by snakeman, Mar 29, 2007.

1. snakeman

snakeman

Feb 26, 2006
    UK
    Hi all not posted for a while..these are some recent shots taken with my tamron 90mm..these frogs are tiny...about as big as your thumbnail!
    f8-1.

f23-1.

f35-1.

f19.

think this one was taking a leak!
    f24-1.

2. Nicely done, good color, Excellent detail and sharp, Stuart

3. snakeman

snakeman

Feb 26, 2006
    UK
    Thanks Gary..not the easiest to shoot as they hide down the middle of bromeliad plants..

4. Well you sure nailed them right on the head

5. Yvette

Yvette

Jan 3, 2007
    Texas
    Beautiful shots. I love the color.

6. snakeman

snakeman

Feb 26, 2006
    UK
    Thanks Yvette..they are even better in the flesh!

7. SteveK

SteveK

Mar 16, 2005
    Alaska
    Very nice images! Stuart, are these captive? Have they lost their toxins? I was photographing a strawberry poison dart frog in the wild, and thought nothing of grabbing it with my hand, and placing it where I wanted it. It was steamy hot in a Costa Rican rain forest. I wiped the sweat off my face with my hand, and all of the sudden, I realized that my lips were numb. After that experience, I always used an empty film container to move poison dart frogs I wanted to photograph, and avoided touching them with my hands. Of course, when I finished photographing them, I replaced them in the exact location where I first found them.

8. snakeman

snakeman

Feb 26, 2006
    UK
    Hi Stve and thanks for the reply..the toxins they secrete through their skins are down to their diet,in the wild this is mainly ants and a lot of their toxicity comes from these..in captivity they are mainly fed on on fruit flies crickets etc so no toxins are produced..

9. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    Wow. They are beautiful. Great shots.

10. snakeman

snakeman

Feb 26, 2006
    UK
    Thankyou Torben,glad you liked them

11. Beautiful job, colors are amazing

12. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    My my
    they are tiny
    So I take it, from your relpy to Steve, you raise these also.
    Beautiful images.
    Thank you
    I like these much better than the long wiggly ones:>))

13. snakeman

snakeman

Feb 26, 2006
    UK
    Thankyou very much..
    Cheers Gale,I don't raise these as they belong to a friend of mine..he keeps quite a few! I am in the process of setting up a tank for some that I plan on getting very soon:smile:

14. SteveK

SteveK

Mar 16, 2005
    Alaska
    Stuart, I wish you were closer! I'd love the chance to photograph some of your and your friends critters!

15. snakeman

snakeman

Feb 26, 2006
    UK
    Well if your ever in the UK drop me a pm..:cool: Frogs.rattlesnakes,gila monsters to name a few that you could shoot.