1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Dash cam rec's??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Taco, Sep 11, 2008.

1. Hopefully someone can recommend a reasonably priced (cheap) P&S cam with video recording capabilities. Every morning on the way to work I cross a bridge with one lane closed. I drive a 200 dollar Chevette and get no respect. People that are supposed to merge often cut me off and almost run me into concrete lane dividers. They know I don't have enough power to defend myself and they drive like there's no consequences. I want a camera that I can place on my dash to record known trouble spots. I think dash cams should be standard on all cars to take the anonymity out of driving. Local cops aren't interested in he said/she said complaints but having video evidence on hand could surely help. If any one has some suggestions I'm all ears...TIA.....

Cheers

Ted

2. Ted:

Look at some of the local bicycle shops. There are several "helmet" cams now on the market. They do need to be hooked up to a video recorder, but there are lots of those available for the same price as a point and shoot.
    You will need to find one that runs a 'loop', so it continuously records over itself. Afterall, you will only need the last couple of minutes to prove your point should you be in an accident.

As a side note, I wish I had one of these in my truck last Sunday. A 90 year old driver crossed the center line and hit my truck. Glass everywhere! I took most of the glass, but my wife got a couple of cuts as well. Thankfully my dogs were not hurt. The old geezer then denied hitting my truck and even took a swing at me!

Be careful out there.

Michael

3. Hey Michael

Thanks for the tip...I never knew helmet cams existed. Glad to hear nobody was hurt in your little encounter with a bad driver. Two nights ago I wholesaled a 97 GMC 1 ton crew cab with a 8 ft. box. There's some serious take out weight there. Wish I was driving that one but it would be 30 bucks a day for fuel. Unfortunatly with my dumb luck I'm always in a smaller or collector vehicle. Will check out those helmet cams..........

Cheers

Ted:smile:

4. Lurker

Lurker

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    A sticker with the text "We touch: damage to my car: $25. Damage to yours: $2500. I don't care"? :biggrin:

5. Bart

Good suggestion. I already have a Urban Attack Vehicle sticker but literacy is obviously not a prerequisite to hold a Manitoba drivers licence. I have a 6 volt horn on 12v that can peel the chrome off a trailer hitch but any time you use a horn here all you get is honking and the bird back. I need to buy a white Crown Vic and mount a push bar up front. Instant respect...........

Cheers

6. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Don't forget the ditch light on the left A pillar of that Crown Vic!!!

7. PeteZ28

PeteZ28

Oct 5, 2007
    Newtown, PA
    Just go all out Mad Max style on your car!!!

8. Sounds like a good idea Ted.
    I once had this problem with an older Ford truck. i welded a 6x6 tube steel bumper on the front, and no one ever pulled in front of me again.:biggrin:

9. BayWing- You're sharp, Guess I also need a small whip antenna and police centre caps for the wheels.......

Pete- Why didn't I think of that...You guys in Jersey know how to take care of yourselves. A mad max chevette interceptor! Just need a blower thru the hood and a mean lookin Dingo ridin shotgun...I like the way you think...Thanks!

Tom- Don't have any 6x6 but my neighbor has some railway track. I can burn that on to the front bumper and inflate the front tires to 90 psi. Might as well go out in style........:biggrin:

Cheers

10. wgilles

wgilles

Apr 25, 2008
    NJ
    You can also check out some of the "civilian law enforcement" websites, for like home protection, etc. They usually have stuff like that.

For the home defense mercenary!

EDIT: Did some research and found a couple things that might suit you:

http://www.uscav.com/Productinfo.aspx?productID=17121&TabID=137&CatID=995
    It's really meant to be mounted on a rail system on an assault rifle, but I'm sure you can rig it up to your card (Records right to SD card which is nice)

http://www.envisioncam.com/?gclid=CJO3lreF1ZUCFRPyDAodIWLPXw
    No idea how expensive this is, but it looks pricey but full featured

http://www.spytechs.com/spy_cameras/car-camera.htm?gclid=CL2do8aF1ZUCFQuHGgodyxucXw
    Cheaper model, could suit your needs best

http://www.rvfunproducts.com/dviii2...6.html?zenid=8985487a63cb16c89afefab3ad04a0d0
    This is one is probably the best one, and probably the 2nd most expensive

Hope this helps

11. Will

Thanks for your reply and all your leg work. The car cam from the spychest looks perfect and within my budget. This will come in handy when (not if) I get hit. I never back down when I'm in the right of way so it's just a matter of time. Thanks again for finding this solution...........

Cheers

12. wgilles

wgilles

Apr 25, 2008
    NJ
    No problem, glad I could help

13. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    A section of RR track actually works better. Knew a guy who got rear-ended in his pick-up, destroyed the bumper and he hit his head on the back window and blew it out (this was years ago, no highbacked seats, extra-cabs, just a stock p/u). He put a section of RR rail where the bumper was. Next rear-ender, no damage to p/u, but the car that hit him was totaled.
    The 6x6 tube may be more intimidating to look at, but the RR rail is the better performer.

14. pirahnah3

pirahnah3

Feb 22, 2008
    wuss-tah
    just s an idea i have taken small LCd mounts and put them on dashboards (ie for liek a 7 inch screen) as they have the same size mounting crew as the cameras. and my nikkon coolpix took decent vids with sound!

15. I found a solution, just get a bigger vehicle. I see this bad boy every morning on the way to work. If somebody really ------ you off just lock it in 4 low and go over them:biggrin:........

Cheers

371235310_cggtD-L.

16. Pete

Pete

Jun 10, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Ted,
    I have a camera on my windshield but just for photography fun. I am using a Nikon 5000 mounted upside down using an old rearview mirror mount. It was really simple, just cut off the mirror and attached the camera with a bolt. I mounted it to the windshield using the $3 kit from the auto parts store. Maybe you can find a small video camera or even use the video mode on a P&S. You will also need to control the reflections on the glass. I made a shield out of photo paper and painted it flat black.
    http://www.pete.3rdtrick.com/?page_id=3
    Pete

17. Hey Pete

Very slick.......I was wondering how to control reflections. We only have six weeks of good driving left before the snow flies and I'm anxious to get a camera mounted before the first snowfall. I've witnessed some really wild spin outs and accidents and a dash cam could be highly entertaining. I was going to mount a camera base on the dash but your idea looks better ..Thanks for your suggestion and the link........

Cheers

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.