Date Help!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JustinD, Dec 18, 2005.

1. I've got this "outting" with a girl that neither one of us are really calling a "date" but we've spent a good deal of time flirting with each other before we decided to go out. She knows I'm into photography so she suggested that we go somewhere and take pictures. At first I thought, "What a great idea!" But then the doubts started creeping in.

She's not a photographer at all - she doesn't know anything about it. We're going to a place that I've wanted to photograph for quite a long time so I know that at least some of my attention is going to be focused on actual photography.

My question is how on earth do I keep her from getting bored as I set up my tripod and go through the ritual of setting up my shot? I can just picture her being totally bored with the "date" and subsequently with me too. Any good tips? How can I involve her in the image making process?

We're meeting in T minus 1.5 hours so - kindly hurry with your suggestions!

Thanks!

2. cknight

cknight

May 2, 2005
    Madison, AL
    Well, I ain't got much luck with the female species, but I'll throw out my suggestions anyway. Feel free to ignore them.

I think the easiest thing to do is to get her involved and let her take some pictures. We won't give you a hard time if her pics are better than yours, I promise.:Angel:
    Depending on how self conscious she is, you might try taking some pictures of her too. Either her specifically, or if you're shooting scenics, put her in the frame somewhere.

I'm not sure what all you do to set up for a shot, but if she gets bored while you set up your tripod, then she has an attention span shorter than a puppy and you'll probably be out of luck.

Good luck.

3. Relax, Justin. Just involve her in your every step. She won't get bored because she just want to spend some time with you. Photography is just an excuse.

4. DanWhite

DanWhite

Jul 10, 2005
    Lansdale PA
    My first date with my wife started this way. Now 2 D70's later we are a happily married photograph shooting couple. Now when I get a new piece of gear, I never get the "look" as described a few posts back. Now it's more like what is it and when can I use it lol.

Dan

5. nfoto

nfoto Guest

Make her the main subject of your shots.

6. Cherokee

Cherokee

Nov 27, 2005
    Alabama
    Let her carry the tripod around!
    Robert

7. nfoto

nfoto Guest

I thought the idea was to develop a relationship, not to break it ?

8. Just try and get her involved. Don't push it. Don't make it too technical. Just let her have a go and see if she can be the subject as well as other subjects and keep it light hearted.

Bob F.

9. All great advice. I just got back from hanging out with her and it was a lot of fun. I spent quite a bit of time photographing her, I let her look in my viewfinder (heh) and asked her opinion of my shots as she looked at them on the LCD. I'm fairly confident she wasn't bored out of her gourd. I know I wasn't.

10. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

11. Paul,

See the post right above yours! LOL

I've posted a shot I took of her in the portrait forum and also another one of some structures in the Landscape forum.
    Here they are:
    1. nina2.
    2. Copy-of-gugong2.

12. Just take the camera, casually do some scouting and take a few test shots. Don't make a big deal out of the camera, your attention should be on her. There will be plenty time in the future to introduce her to your hobby/obsession.

Woody

13. Guess I missed the post about the date already happening :redface:

Pretty lady.

Woody

14. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Woah! What a cutie! I hope you're getting together again!

15. Wow, people at the Cafe really are helpful. I haven't been this excited since my son went on his first date. How fun.

16. Aint that the truth, Gordon. This is a fanastic place.

Thanks again, folks, for all the helpful replies.

Chris - I think there's a pretty good chance that we will.

17. That's good news.

Justin, bring her down to Hong Kong for Chinese New Year.

18. I'm actually going to be going just before CNY so as to avoid the price hikes and horrible travel situation. Airports and hotels are always absolutely horrific during the Spring Festival...and I avoid travelling during it like the plague. Incidentally - she'll be working and unable to come with me. Although I'd love to have her accompany me..

19. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Nice Girl!

She's a real cutie Justin, and your shots a both VERY good! Now, on your next date, I'm going to suggest (if and when you get 'round to talking photography), dicussing composition in general, ie, why you're shooting from where you are, reason for using a particular focal length, and what you're looking to capture in a particular shot. Keep us informed!

20. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    LOLOLOLOLOL - the best reply I saw in a long time :smile: . (I'm senile, anyway.)

Sorry - I wouldn't try this one. And as I can read, you already got the right start. She's lovely and I hope you get along well. Sometimes it's good to share the "obsessions" right from start, so she knows what she gets into. After all, what if you madly fell in love only to discover later that you two are totally incompatible and she hates the very things you like so much?

This is a cool forum!