1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Dave in his barbershop

Discussion in 'Photojournalism, Candids and Street Photography' started by rbsinto, Apr 19, 2007.

1. While in Reddington Shores Florida, I came across a very interesting barbershop called Humanoid Haircutz owned by David Scott. In addition to the eclectic collection of interesting "stuff" that fills his shop, David has a huge body of photographs that he took from about 1977 to 1987 in Venice, California, of the then-emerging skateboard culture. He has many of them listed on pbase (www.pbase.com/venicepix). He was kind enough to let me photograph while he was giving haircuts, and then let me take some shots of him. This is one of my favorites. I used my widest lens, a 12~24 with my back up against the front window to capture as much of the shops atmosphere as possible. I knew that there would be keystoning towards the edges of the frame, but I think this adds to the "funky" feel of the portrait, which accurately describes David and his shop.
    Nikon F65
    Sigma 12~24 f4.5-5.6 auto focus zoom
    Fuji Sensia II
    exposure f4.5 @ whatever
    handheld
    [​IMG]

2. Wow, that wide angle just rocks! Great shot. Now that is what I call a barbershop.

Since I went digital, that is the one thing I miss the most- extremely wide angle lenses.

This is really a nice shot.

3. Rick,
    Thanks for your kind words.
    I'm enjoying the Sigma, mainly because of its extreme width at the short end, which makes it excellent for street portraits. I got it on ebay at an attractive price, only to realize after I won the auction that it would mount on my cameras, but gave me no aperture control (being a "G" lens). However, it is both film-camera and digital camera compatible, so if I ever lose my mind and decide to go digital, it's useable.
    Thus I was forced to purchase an auto-focus body to dedicate to this one lens. A Nikon refrubished F65 including a new "AA" battery holder for $79.00 from Cameta Camera was perfect. It has all the features I need except extreme build quality, but what the hell. So far no complaints.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2007
  4. Great story and photo.
    What atmosphere!

Don

5. Now that's a cool shot. What a place to get your hair cut! I've been thinking about picking up one of those lenses. This shot may have convinced me. :smile: :smile:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.