Dave in his barbershop

While in Reddington Shores Florida, I came across a very interesting barbershop called Humanoid Haircutz owned by David Scott. In addition to the eclectic collection of interesting "stuff" that fills his shop, David has a huge body of photographs that he took from about 1977 to 1987 in Venice, California, of the then-emerging skateboard culture. He has many of them listed on pbase (www.pbase.com/venicepix). He was kind enough to let me photograph while he was giving haircuts, and then let me take some shots of him. This is one of my favorites. I used my widest lens, a 12~24 with my back up against the front window to capture as much of the shops atmosphere as possible. I knew that there would be keystoning towards the edges of the frame, but I think this adds to the "funky" feel of the portrait, which accurately describes David and his shop.
Nikon F65
Sigma 12~24 f4.5-5.6 auto focus zoom
Fuji Sensia II
exposure f4.5 @ whatever
handheld
Dave_Scott_in_Humanoid_Haircutz-800.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

R

Rick Waldroup

Wow, that wide angle just rocks! Great shot. Now that is what I call a barbershop.

Since I went digital, that is the one thing I miss the most- extremely wide angle lenses.

This is really a nice shot.

Rick,
Thanks for your kind words.
I'm enjoying the Sigma, mainly because of its extreme width at the short end, which makes it excellent for street portraits. I got it on ebay at an attractive price, only to realize after I won the auction that it would mount on my cameras, but gave me no aperture control (being a "G" lens). However, it is both film-camera and digital camera compatible, so if I ever lose my mind and decide to go digital, it's useable.
Thus I was forced to purchase an auto-focus body to dedicate to this one lens. A Nikon refrubished F65 including a new "AA" battery holder for $79.00 from Cameta Camera was perfect. It has all the features I need except extreme build quality, but what the hell. So far no complaints.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now that's a cool shot. What a place to get your hair cut! I've been thinking about picking up one of those lenses. This shot may have convinced me. :smile: :smile:

Latest threads

Top Bottom