1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Day 1 with my Ne D500

Discussion in 'Birds' started by RON, Apr 10, 2018.

1. RON

RON

Apr 10, 2018
    Hi I have just done my first shoot with the Nikon D500 and the Nikon 200-500 Lens. The light was poor but managed to get some pictures of a Peacock, as I am new to Nikon I set the camera up as per a video on youtube. I use DXO for editing but noticed lots of noise in the Feather detail. I got the d500 yesterday so do I need Firmware update. Or is it because of the low light and I had WB set to Auto and ISO set to Auto. I am a 7DMK2 user for last 4 years so Nikon is all new to me, just need a bit of advice. Could it be a bad Camera or lens as I heard this camera was the best on the market.

Thanks Ron
    DSC_0332_DxO.
    NIKON D500    ---    500mm    f/5.6    1/800s    ISO 3200

2. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    What ISO? Did you use the DxO PRIME noise reduction? IMHO....the D500 have very aggressive noise above ISO 1600.

The key is to expose to the right...therefore not having to increase exposure or lift shadows in post.

FWIW....I always set ISO to auto. That shouldn't have a major effect on noise.

3. Auto WB is fine. Your camera chose ISO 3200 so noise is to be expected. Also, dynamic range has decreased by 42% at that ISO so pictures just don't look as good.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
  4. West

West

Jan 2, 2012
    Vancouver BC
    It also looks like your main focus point is the body not the head.

5. and the metering seems a wee bit biased against the darker head

6. Welcome Ron
    like others have said, you were at 1/800sec/F5.6, ISO 3200 noise is expected, appears you shot at JPEG "fine", if so try RAW or NEF, it give more unused pixels to work with and in DXO, it has an excellent noise reduction for RAW files when you close and transfer in Prime.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
  7. billtils

billtils

Apr 3, 2018
    Ron

Welcome to Nikon. You have made a big leap and will have a lot of re-learning to do so don't despair if things don't look as you would expect or like. You'll pick up lots of useful info from D500 user posts here, but if you want a good overview and don't mind paying the $49, I can recommend this. I found his D750 class very helpful (and that was moving from another Nikon body, not a Canon).

Keep shooting, keep posting, keep improving :) .

8. Welcome to the Cafe, what prompted you to move to Nikon at this time? Was there a particular problem you were having that you think the D500 will resolve?

On the tech bits, everyone before me has given good advice. I would like to add one more source of good info, at least one I like that has given me good insight. Steve Perry, Backcountry Gallery. As he notes there, watch his videos.

9. And remember, if it was easy some punk with a cheap cellphone would have done it first :rolleyes:  For most of us the act of shooting, and the thought (creative?) processes and trouble shooting are what keeps us shooting. Boredom, for me at least, comes from machine-like automation with no real thinking or variation. Perfection from every press of the shutter. I hope my learning, and my mistakes, never end.

10. drr1531

drr1531

Jan 2, 2009
    Alaska
    The image looks to be a good bit under exposed which is really bad for noise even though the shadows may be recoverable with post processing. Relative to other APS-C sensor cameras the D500 has pretty good performance at higher ISO settings. I find it does much better in practice than indicated on the popular test/evaluation blogs that do lab testing.

11. Welcome (y)
    Ok...
    Underexposed
    Handheld? if so SS a bit low if new to combo (750mm FOV) try 2x FL
    Slightly front focused, if you aimed for the eye...try AF Tune @ +1 :D 

12. Hi Ron, and welcome to the cafe! All of the suggestions here from my fellow Cafer's are good ones, but let me suggest this. We are looking at one photo. Take a few more shots in different locations and different light and post those. Then we can see what is going on and make a reasonable determination. I would not be making changes to my shooting or camera setup until I knew what I was trying to accomplish with a bit more clarity.

Also - you mentioned that you set your camera up "as per a video on youtube". Depending on which one, that could vary from really good to really, really bad. I would suggesting looking for Steve Perry's videos on Youtube or on his website. He provides clear, common sense advice and knows the D500 well.

Let us see some more images and then we can fine tune as required.

13. Fred makes a couple of great points.

14. rick_reno

rick_reno

Dec 3, 2012
    N Idaho
    Ron,

If you like Steve Perry's youtube videos, he offers this excellent ebook for under $17 on the Nikon AF system. Long time ago in another universe I shot a Canon 7D for awhile, before moving to Nikon. They're different camera systems. Once you get over the hump of using a Nikon trust me, it'll be fun. A lot of fun.

Secrets To The Nikon Autofocus System - Backcountry Gallery

15. Steve Perry also has ebooks on the Nikon AF system and on shooting wildlife .
    As another D500 200-500mm newbie, I'm getting a lot out of them.

16. RON

RON

Apr 10, 2018
    Thanks Steve I am sorry I have not replied I have been down with flu but had some good results the last couple of days. I messed up by setting settings of YouTube and after I did a reset I had some cracking results. so other than setting my buttons on the back I have not set anything else. See what you think, and thanks for all the response and advice. Great website.

17. I use the same combination of camera and lens D500 and Nikkor 200-500mm, I shoot in auto ISO which I have capped off at 1600, in controlled lighting conditions I manually adjust ISO. You might be able get away with higher ISO and a bit more noise in darker environments, but not when shooting wildlife.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.