Day at park with Sophia, practicing flash use

Discussion in 'People' started by Kemnik, Oct 5, 2008.

1. Kemnik

Kemnik

Aug 21, 2007
    San Jose, CA
    Here I was attempting to dial in the most easy to access flash settings which get a flattering, yet light flash look. I usually shoot in manual for strobe use, but lately I have been hunting for the best way to get similar results without having to chimp as much; particularly at weddings where I want to be focused on moments, not technical stuff. I've also been comparing back lit situations where I can use the strobe or spot meter the subject with no flash, and what gives more pleasing results. What do you think? Some on camera, some off camera flash, some natural diffused overcast light. All with the 50 1.4.

2914284660_7dba459b8a_b.

and check out this 100% crop, with me holding the light in my left hand and three other people behind me.

View attachment 263027

View attachment 263028

2914299360_e68a5aaaa0_b.

View attachment 263030

View attachment 263031

View attachment 263032

View attachment 263033

View attachment 263034

And this game scoring device at the bocce ball court was just screaming for shallow depth of field shots, so I listened to it.

View attachment 263035

View attachment 263036

2. Hi, Kurt! It's hard to assess the success of your flash technique after you've photoshopped them so heavily. But this sample is a stand out.

2914286386_060bd59687_b.

I love this shot, too, but it's mostly because of the model and the pose.

View attachment 263038

3. Kemnik

Kemnik

Aug 21, 2007
    San Jose, CA
    Good point. I thought about that too. By the way, I'm officially 100% using Lightroom. Not by choice, I had a hard drive issue and had to re-install everything. Can't find my original PS. time to upgrade I suppose. It was too old anyway. But one thing I wanted to do here, is do all my edits first as if they were my only shots, and then compare what I liked and why, then determine the settings used. So for myself it was successful in determining that if the light is not nice, or in some shadows, I feel I have some go to settings which I really like.

By the way, those settings which I really like are Aperture priority around F4-5.6 for a single individual, EV -0.3, Flash -2 (could have gone -3 I think).

4. You could do it on the cheap by picking up Elements 6.0. LR2 will export to it on the rare occasions where you need the cloning tool or layers.

5. Mart61

Mart61

Dec 23, 2006
    Camberley, UK
    Some great shots here!

6. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    I was just going to say what Frank said about the PP! But the color versions are great! Now...how did you do it? Did you use some type of diffusers?

7. lr0868

lr0868

May 25, 2008
    henderson, nv
    gorgeous shots!

8. shtarka1

shtarka1

Feb 1, 2008
    Boston
    Adorable!

9. Hey Kurt, I enjoyed your shots and the balanced lighting on many of them. #3 is cute as can be.

10. Kemnik

Kemnik

Aug 21, 2007
    San Jose, CA
    Good point. I'm going to go all the way with CS4 someday soon. But at the same time, I'm not sure I need to. I've been using LR about 90% anyway. But I do need Photoshop for some graphics stuff at work anyway, so I'll see if they can foot the bill ;) 

Thanks!

Thanks! I did use a diffuser (lumiquest mini soft box thing) on many, but to be honest I think using the light anyway other than direct on camera is the best thing to do. As an example, the first shot is bare flash, but at a 45 degree angle in my hand and it looks no worse than when I shoot through an umbrella. I may have also done some negative clarity adjustment in Lightroom, but can't remember.

Isn't that the truth? I agree and wish I would have let the gear do the work before. But I guess there is some inherent value in figuring it out the hard way. And I'm now doing exactly what you have listed, TTL, flash down around -1 and if I want to background lower, I do EV -.3 to -.7 provided I'm in aperture priority. I'm still in manual when doing stobes on stands through umbrellas, but for quick unpredictable moments, you have to trust the gear a bit.

Thanks!

Thanks.

Thank you! I also like that one. She's such a silly girl.

11. Nice job Kurt. Out of all those images, there are only 2 (#5 and #9) that actually look like they're flashed, so I think you got it figured out. Good work.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.