Day at the Hook

Discussion in 'Birds' started by mike mac, Oct 18, 2005.

1. Was able to make it down to Bombay Hook NWR yesterday with fellow forum member Gordon Large. We had a great time and the weather was perfect. The birding opportunities were not what I had expected but you cant control that. Here are a few from yesterday.
    BTW these are the first set of pictures processed on my new Mac system so if anyone would care to comment oh the PPing of these shots I would appreciate it.
    Pair of feeding Avocets
    [​IMG]
    Gull
    [​IMG]
    Snow Goose
    [​IMG]
    Avocet
    [​IMG]
    Flock of Snow Geese
    [​IMG]
    Gull and Avocet
    [​IMG]
    Big Bird
    [​IMG]
    Sunrise at the Hook
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2005
  2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Great shots Mike. I know that we aren't supposed to say this, but the landscape / sunset is really good and is probably my fav. :wink:

3. Beautiful shots Mike, that blastoff is awesome!!! I have a good buddy of mine who left Long Island and moved really close to Bombay Hook. He is a Photographer from Long Island said it is a great place for birds. I really never saw it and plan on getting there one day so it is nice to see your shots.

Thanks!

4. Great series as always Mike. wonder which bird you were focusing on in the group shot?
    love the landscape too!
    Dave

5. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

I really love this shot...

[​IMG]

The rest are cool, but this is something that Great too.

6. GREAT images Mike. I'm with Dave, I really like the flock of geese.

7. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Nice stuff Mike
    love the large flock of geese, man that's alot of flight in one frame :biggrin:

and that sunset, Swwweeeetttt

well done

8. strobel

strobel

Apr 30, 2005
    Algonquin, IL
    Must agree with everyone else, that flock shot is great. Thanks for sharing.

9. Love the texture of the "flock" shot, Mike. Very nice.

I also like the sunset pic, although I wonder if it would have worked better if the horizon wasn't in the middle of the shot... hard to tell since I wasn't there when you captured it! :smile:

Those two are definitely my favorites of the bunch. Congrats on the new hardware! I hope you enjoy it.

10. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Great work Mike,

Love them all. :>))))))

11. Thanks frank the sunrise was beautiful tat morning too bad it was clear sys or it would have been really spectacular

12. George
    In November the snow goose populations approach the tens of thousands so will be going back down there to witness this. The hook is very nice , only problem is in the summer when the waders are there the mosquito's and flys will destroy you. If you get a check check it out you wont be disappointed. On Monday we saw GBH, snowys, great whites harriers and bald eagle, ducks, avocets. Most were very far away but that changes every day

13. Dave
    Thanks it was the third from the left :smile:

14. Thanks Dave it was awesoem to witness hoping to get back in Nov when the populatiosn are even larger

15. Thanks so much for looking I appreciate it

16. Yes I was pleased with the sunrise myslef I shot it with the 12-24 and a 2 stop ND filter

17. Thanks for lookign I appreciate it

18. David long time no see hope all is well with you. I too agree that it could have been composed differently and Will give it a try the next time. It was a clear morning and would have been so much better with some wispy clouds in the shot but we cant control that now can we

19. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Hi Mike -

Very nice shots! I particularly like the sunset. When did you sneak out your 12-24? No fair! The only PP issue I saw was the third pic in the series where the snow goose looks a little unreal. Not sure why. Maybe over sharpened.

Now I've got to get my act together! I still haven't processed one image, although I did go through the 819 images I took to weed out the terrible ones. 819 actually is an overstatement. I always keep my camera on Ch in case a flying bird surprised me, and I very frequently take two shots when I only meant to take one. It was a great day! Let me know when you are going back for more snow geese.

Gordon

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2005
  20. Mike

Simply another great series. I love the flock of geese but I really love the shore birds. Great landscape as well. Looks like you had a great time.