Day at Valley Forge Park

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by mike mac, Oct 25, 2005.

1. Sunday I went to the park in search of deer while there I was able to grab some shots of the monuments and a scenic. Valley Forge is where George Washington and his troops spent the winter with very little food or supplies many of the soldiers didn't even have shoes during the cold snowy winter. It is a beautiful sprawling park. Here are a few from the few hours I spent there.
    These were all taken with the D100 and the 12-24 or 28-70 lens
    The Washington Memorial
    [​IMG]
    One of the huts the solders spent the winter in converted to B&W
    [​IMG]
    General Von Stuben Monument
    [​IMG]
    Scenic of two huts in the warm afternoon light
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2005
  2. WOW 0 for 35 worse than my batting average in H.S. :cool:

3. Love the last image Mike. It looks so peaceful and has great colors. I have been there back when I used to live in Long Valley and work in Bedminster but don't remember this particular scene.

4. sfoxjohn

sfoxjohn

May 1, 2005
    Marlton, NJ
    I also like the last one best - just a sucker for landscapes.

Your mention of the cold and snow reminds me of the last time I was there, about 1980. Our Boy Scout troop was the first to try out the then new trail (approx 10mi.) in January. When we started out there were 6 inches of snow on the ground and a steady drizzle which turned most of the snow to slush by the end. My big toe was bleeding for the last 6 miles - without pain (no it wasn't numb). Felt like Washington's boys must have felt, except I was 49 at the time.

Here's a real oldie I took from the tower, probably in the sixties with a Nikkormat. Gives a new meaning to the term fall color and probably needs a little more saturation.

[​IMG]

5. FishSauce

FishSauce

Aug 10, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    The last one is great. I like it :smile:

6. Thanks Gordon this is located by the Von Stuben house near the chapel right off of RT 23

7. Thanks so much funny you metion scouts we had a camporee there two years ago and ended up with 7 inches of snow, it was fun but a real mess packign up and getting out of there

8. Thanks for looking I appreicate it

9. That's what I like about coming to the Cafe: people post shots of places that I don't get to see and sometimes never heard of. It's like going on a virtual vacation. My favorite is the pastoral shot of the 2 huts! Nicely done, Mike!!

10. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Nice shots. I like the sense of scale in the first one and the symmetry created by the structure, sidewalk, and flag (too bad there wasn't enough breeze for the flag to stand out). No keystoning at all, did you correct in post or where you just able to get far enough back to keep the camera level?

Love the warm light and serene mood of the last shot, though I wonder if cropping a little from the left and bottom edges would improve the composition a bit.

11. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    Hi Mike,

Very Nicely Done as Aways. Thanks for the memories

Regards

RFC