Day Lily backlit by the evening sun

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Irenejoy, Jul 28, 2005.

1. 46863717.

D70 Nikor 105 F16 handheld

2. This was a good experiment Irene; however, I would prefer a little bounce light into the flower itself. The stamen seems a little soft as well. I would say keep at it as you have a good concept and start here. I might also cut off the right 1/3 of the image and just a tad from the bottom thus letting the three backlit petals take dominance with the stamen and pistle off set from the center. The three petals would radiate nicely from the center of the blossom up to the top left corner. It is also my opinion that the EV could be increased just a tiny bit and perhaps some D Lighting or Shadow/Highlight adjustment in PS. In making these comments I have taken a risk in that I don't know you and hope you will take them in the vein offered.

3. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Irene, excellent concept. I agree with Gordon that it needs a little boost in the level. I would also like to see the pistils and stamen a little sharper. the shot definitely has potential though.

Let us see some more. :wink:

4. Thank you both for your comments. I just knew I should have used the tripod but it is so confining.I shall make another attempt late this evening using all your advice, plus the tripod LOL. If I deem it to be successful I shall post. Thanks again.

5. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Irene,

Some folks have very steady hands, and can get shots hand held. There a numerous examples here and on other forums. In general though, for high resolution shots, and especially close-ups, a tripod is highly recommended, so I think that you are going in the right direction.

As far as whether you should post your shots, all I can say is always post. When I was a beginner, I posted some that were real stinkers. I learned from the feedback though, and it helped me to improve my technique. I'm still learning, and I still get good feedback.

The lesson is, always shoot (as PJohnP says ;-)), and always post. :)