Day lily with off camera SB-800

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Electromen, Jul 30, 2005.

1. I am new to Nikon cafe. I was experimenting with the
    D70 and SB-800 in commander mode to back light flowers.
    f/16, 1/320 sec. ISO 200,

2. Welcome aboard Greg!
    Experimenting is everyone's nickname in the cafe... I guess we were all genetic scientists in a "previous life" :-D
    It's through experimentation that we have reached to a certain level of photo-skills.
    I'm sure you'll find the cafe full of "area 51s" and with a great public library, too ;-)
    Enjoy and share!
  3. Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Greg, welcome to the Cafe!! I was just out shooting with a friend that was showing me the technique that you used here, and I am planning on trying it myself this weekend. It worked well for in this image.

BTW, we don't mind if you post images a little larger. Makes it easier for us to see the great pics. I usually post at 800 x 600 or larger.

I look forward to seeing more of your posts.
  4. re: thanks

Thanks for the welcome. There is one other photo I'd like to post

D70, 70-200VR f/5.6 ISO 200 no flash

5. Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Very nice. I like this size much better. 8)
  6. Very good dreamy photo Greg. I agree with Frank aka Flew... size does matter ;-)
  7. Re: re: thanks

Welcome to the Cafe. I think your second image is dreamy. You really nailed the color too! I have a lot of difficulty with reds and yellows in nature. Great job. 8)
  8. mrtac2man

Jun 3, 2005
    not sure why but the second picture looks a little out of focus or as some might say a little soft.. but love the colors....

9. I like very much the second shot, I guess you made the focus on the third flower from the top. The colors are very good.
  10. Right, Focus is on the 3rd flower down. DOF at f/5.6 is shallow and I think gives the photo a soft feel. I have others with more and less DOF, ( I kept changing f/stops) but I liked this one because of the soft texture.
  11. I really like your second shot a lot. The red is great, and it's very cool how each successive flower going down the line is a bit more open than the one before it.