Day Lily

Nancy finds it odd that I carry my camera all the time... even on one of our short walks around the neighborhood.
But you never can tell what you might spot, like this Day Lily at a house a few doors down the street.

original.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Now here's an interesting aside. The ASPCA has the Orange Day Lily (Hemorocallis graminea) on their list
of poisonous plants. The only species known to be affected by it are cats, in which it can cause "vomiting,
inappetence, lethargy, and kidney failure."

I'd say well worth taking it on your walk....that's a lovely photo! I take my camera everywhere...it's almost always in the car...even when I'm just heading to the grocery store...I never know what I might see.

Wow Frank, that is a spectacular shot. The colors are gorgeous and I love the way the stamen and stigma stand out from the flower. Well done my friend.

Hi Frank! Great almost-macro-shot. The 28-70 is a very versatile lens, although I use it seldom nowadays and mostly when I need the versatility. I have to try the 500D on it, in fact it's the only of my 77mm lenses on which I have not yet tested it. Might make a nice macro zoom.

Uncle Frank said:
Now here's an interesting aside. The ASPCA has the Orange Day Lily (Hemorocallis graminea) on their list
of poisonous plants. The only species known to be affected by it are cats, in which it can cause "vomiting,
inappetence, lethargy, and kidney failure."

Just for your information - most members of the lily family are poisonous to a various extent (at least parts of them), many even for humans, except the ones we use to eat (onion, garlic, etc). Usually animals are aware of that fact, e.g. if you walk over a cow pasture in the mediterranean, all the "left-overs" are usually Liliaceae, mainly aphodils.

They make nice photo subjects, though.
Cheers

Harry S. said:
Hi Frank! Great almost-macro-shot. The 28-70 is a very versatile lens, although I use it seldom nowadays...

How can you leave a great lens like that to gather dust? Shame on you :evil:.

Uncle Frank said:
Harry S. said:
Hi Frank! Great almost-macro-shot. The 28-70 is a very versatile lens, although I use it seldom nowadays...

I'm sure you'll find it's on your camera much more when the little one arrives :wink:.

Uncle Frank said:
Uncle Frank said:
Harry S. said:

I'm sure you'll find it's on your camera much more when the little one arrives :wink:.

Frank, as an excuse - I prefer to use my primes (28/1.4D, 45/2.8P, 85/1.4D) when I have the time for swapping and the patience for foot-framing.
However, you are right, when the newcomer arrives the 28-70 will experience a great rennaissance :)
Cheers

Latest threads

Top Bottom