1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Daydreaming

Discussion in 'People' started by sonyam, Jul 30, 2008.

1. 2718650138_9eef59055a_b.png
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. Zee71

Zee71

Apr 1, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Beautiful.............Sonya, was this with the D700 or D300? What was ISO did you use?

3. Thank you.

D700, 1/125, f/2, 50mm f/1.8 lens, ISO 200

4. Zee71

Zee71

Apr 1, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Excellent.........you got love that 50mm f/1.8 glass......I have it as well, and for the price I am very impressed with it. Again............what a doll she is!!!!

5. Thank you. Yes, the 50 was my first piece of fast glass, and I'm amazed when I dig it out again. It's an EXCELLENT focal length indoors now with the D700, so I think it will get more use.

6. Crazy Cat Lady

Crazy Cat Lady

Apr 2, 2008
    MI
    What a beautiful capture and excellent lighting!

Do you shoot in manual mode most of the time or some other mode like aperture priority?

7. Thank you.

I always shoot in manual mode. The only time it goes to another mode is when I hand it off to my husband in "P" mode (he calls it dummy mode.....no offense to anyone who uses it) That way he can take a random photo of me with the girls.

8. Matthias

Matthias

Apr 13, 2007
    Central Texas
    Great - natural light?

9. Yes, window light. :) 

10. Crazy Cat Lady

Crazy Cat Lady

Apr 2, 2008
    MI
    I wish I was brave enough to shoot in manual mode all the time. The few times I did try it and managed to get the exposure right, I found I did get better results. For some reason it intimates me though. Maybe I will give it another try this weekend.

Thank you for the response :smile:

11. Kemnik

Kemnik

Aug 21, 2007
    San Jose, CA
    Sonya, maybe you can shed some light on how (more why) you use the camera in manual mode all the time. I'm completely comfortable shooting in manual, but don't get the advantage. If you are shooting in Manual mode and using the meter to get it close to proper exposure or your preferred variant of that (perhaps under exposed a third of a stop or whatever), why not shoot in aperture priority or shutter priority and use exposure compensation. I mean are you straying that far from proper exposure where you need to do it manually or is it more that you are changing shutter speed as often as you do aperture and want to do both quickly? I can see shooting in manual when using strobes, which I do EVERY time since it is essentially two exposures (shutter background and aperture the strobe), but I don't get it for regular shots. What's the advantage for you so I can learn?

I'd totally use manual if there was a "center" button that jumped the settings to the camera's suggested exposure at the push of a button, but I could still deviate both variables at will. That way if I turn around really quick to capture a person at a wedding in different light from the last shot or whatever I can center it quickly and deviate from there.

12. sonya,
    she looks so old in that photo
    what a wonderful look
    the face
    the expression
    PERFECT

13. Duschoolboy

Duschoolboy

Dec 17, 2006
    Sonya,
    I dont see how you get her to stay still long enough. I have to chase my toddler around and my son (8yr old) is getting just as bad. Nice work of natural light . She is always refreshing to see.

14. Don't let it intimidate you. I seriously thought my camera was broken the first time I switched it to manual mode. (a coolpix 8400) That was less than two years ago. I made a decision one day to NEVER move it back to any of the auto modes and learn how to take control of my settings. Since then it's felt like cheating if I use anything else.

I am in no way saying those other modes don't have their time and place. I haven't (yet :wink:)  done a wedding. I chase kids and families in areas with pretty consistent light. Before a session I get a baseline reading for where I want to shoot, set ISO for decent minimal settings in the darkest area. I can then change aperture and shutter speed at will depending on how many people are in the shot. I'm not lightning fast but I do adjust quickly and often at every session. It's a control thing for me. If I mess something up with bad settings, I learn from it, and only have myself to blame. If the camera overexposes and ruins a shot FOR ME, it just ticks me off and I learn nothing but to never use that mode again. It's all about total control. (I think you know me well enough to appreciate that about my personality, LMBO!)

Thanks Greg. She's a sweet little ball of fire. :tongue:

Sit still? Are you kidding? :eek:  She is lightning fast. I got this shot because I asked her if she saw the birdie outside the sliding door. Yes, this time there was a birdie on our patio table....but often times there's nothing. If I want her to look at me, I have to wear a silly hat....not kidding. Then she looks and laughs....and I get natural smiles.

15. Crazy Cat Lady

Crazy Cat Lady

Apr 2, 2008
    MI
    I am going to practice this weekend. As you know having two little kids, it is not easy trying to get anything done, much more or less learning something that takes some train of thought.

Do you have any tips for me on using manual mode?

LOL I was wondering how you always get your kids to be so calm during a photo. It is impossible for me to get my two little boys ( 3 1/2 yrs. & 2 yrs.) to sit still. They are always on the go. There are days where I wish I had their energy.

16. You have a pm. ;) 

17. just like her momma.... now, isn't she? :smile:

18. Oh my, that is such an awesome capture! I would consider a 16X20 inch print at least! Well done.

19. Kemnik

Kemnik

Aug 21, 2007
    San Jose, CA
    Thanks Sonya, that makes sense. I only ask because I want to be in total control too, however whenever I shoot in manual I end up spending more time to make the meter read what it would have read on it's own (except for strobe). But I like the idea of trying it more often so I'm quicker at it when need be. I tried the whole shooting in manual with Auto ISO today; that is weird but cool!!! I set the shutter and aperture and yet it had nothing to do with the final exposure; weird I think I like it!!! ;) 

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.