Daylight Savings Time

Real Name
Andy
I'm not sure how I haven't noticed this in previous years...

Does anyone else find it odd that toggling [Setup->Time zone and date->Daylight saving time->"ON" / "OFF"] correctly "springs forward" and "falls back" but has no effect on the GMT adjustment?

For example, last month, when it was time to move clocks forward by one hour in much of the Northern Hemisphere, modifying this setting added an hour to the time of day, as expected. This should have changed the relationship between New York and Greenwich Mean Time by an hour, namely from UTC-5 to UTC-4. But on Nikon cameras, this doesn't happen; it remains at UTC-5 regardless of the Daylight savings time setting.

Real Name
Andy
While that would make sense the adjustment from UTC (which does not change) to EDT / CDT / MDT / PDT is -4 / -5 / -6 / -7. Yet in Nikon cameras the standard time adjustments (-5 / -6 / -7 / -8) continue to be displayed even after toggling to Daylight saving time.

Real Name
Andy
Good question. One of the reasons I had never given it much thought is because my Olympus E-M1 just lets you set local time without reconciling it with a given time zone. Nikon's approach is more user-friendly, prompting you to select local time by reference to a world map graphic and representative cities. But it really should say UTC-4 from April-October for "New York, Toronto, Lima" with Daylight saving time "ON."

Good question. One of the reasons I had never given it much thought is because my Olympus E-M1 just lets you set local time without reconciling it with a given time zone. Nikon's approach is more user-friendly, prompting you to select local time by reference to a world map graphic and representative cities. But it really should say UTC-4 from April-October for "New York, Toronto, Lima" with Daylight saving time "ON."
That's the pilot in you! :)

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Computers get updates telling them the start and end date and time of DST for everywhere in the world. So we don't have to adjust them.
Sometimes governments change their mind about the date not long before it happens, causing problems for travellers, airlines etc.
Perhaps in the future all our cameras will get updates like that too. And the GPS will identify where they are so we will never need to adjust them.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom