Daytime Football (Woohoo)

Discussion in 'Photojournalism, Candids and Street Photography' started by mike mac, Nov 20, 2005.

1. Was able to shoot our schools big rivalry JV football game today
    First time with the new firmware and some great weather conditions.
    The tracking to the D2X is much improved. These were shot in AF-C
    with single area dynamic focus option (second from the bottom). The
    lens was the 200-400VR. I think this FW did wonders for the focus
    speed of the camera. Here are some examples.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Hey Mike,

I was going to PM you last night and ask if were planning on shooting any more football this season...well, these images answered my question and they are awesome. Every single one is perfect with tight crop, color saturation, composition and tack sharp. You have really set the bar high with this series. I'm heading back to take another long look at them. Outstanding shooting, Mike!

3. These are sooooo good Mike!

4. Who needs SI? These are just fantastic, Mike! As Frank said, the tight crops, the intensity on these guys' faces, vibrant colors all contribute to make the viewer feel they are in the middle of the action. I think these are your best yet! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

5. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Wow, great stuff Mike. I think my favorite is the first one, the composition is great and the little clumps of dirt kicked up behind him add a nice touch. Second to last one, looks like red #25 is about to get clobbered unless he's really fast. :smile:

6. Frank
    Thanks so much for the kind words, I have one last game to shoot the varsity game on Thanksgiving day, the weather was perfect for this past game and I was a marked improvement in the focus for the D2X with the new firmware

7. nice work MIke....bang on...perfect!

8. Very nice.

9. I'm not a big football fan but can appreciate fine photography! These shots are killer, Mike!! Glad to hear the firmware is working so well from so many different sources now!

10. jjdesanto1

jjdesanto1

May 1, 2005
    Warwick, N.Y.
    John DeSanto
    Mike...

These shots are absolutely dead-on. To come away with just one of these from a game would be awesome. To end up with as many "keepers" as you did is beyond awesome.

Congratulations!

11. These really are fantastic! Thanks for sharing.

I really need to look into that lens.

12. Frank
    I was so pleased witht hese when I got home the other day, I am hoping for some similar results from the Thanksgiving Day game

13. Thanks Frits I was very happy with this series

14. Thanks so much for looking and commentign Craig

15. Thanks so much Philippe you have been very supportive of my sports posts and I appreciate that. I was so pleased when I go home and started going through these.

16. Thanks Jeff
    I too was drawn tot he flying dirt added a sense of motion without any blurring, # 25 did get crushed not only by this guiy but by another lineman also

17. Thanks so much

18. Keving
    Thanks glad you took the time to look I appreciate it.
    Teh FW has doen wonders in both AF WB and high iso

19. Thanks You wouldnt beleive it I walked away with about 50 proccessed shots the keepr rate was very high, I was estatic when I got home.

20. I'm glad you mentioned the high iso improvement. I just started playing around with higher iso(s) and have been somewhat dismayed with the results. Competitive cheerleading season is starting (my daughters) and last year I needed ISO1600. Guess I'll need to update the firmware soon and see the results.