Daytona Continental Historic Races Pt 1

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by vulturetec, Nov 12, 2005.

1. A few images from the first day of practice/qualifying and Porsche Klub racing at Daytona this weekend. This was my first track event with my D70. Some of the images have more noise than I like - but then again it was late in the afternoon with heavy clouds blocking the sun after the first two qualifying runs so I was struggling a for light and used a higher ISO than usual in the later images (no monopod).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Hi Scott,

Great captures.
    Love the action in the "cobra"shot

3. Excellent series Scott...!

Love the colors and details captured.

4. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Yes, the Cobra and the final Porchse do it for me.

Thanks so much for sharing. Excellent color and a feel of racing.

Cheers,

5. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    hi scott-

great photos, thanks for sharing them. what aperture did you use?

ricky

6. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    Excellent shots! The last two took me back when I was in highschool and my neighbor had one of those, and I sometimes took a ride with him. Did you use manual exposure and auto-ISO on these shots? All of the pictures are great.

7. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

8. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Truly a great series of images, Scott. You have a great vision for motorsports. I really like the 3/4 prospective versus a side view...the Cobra shoot is awesome. Your composition and crop are outstanding. Thanks for sharing.

9. Thanks all for the comments! Someone answered the aperture question (most of the time I was wide-open because of the light - today was better)...

No. I use the lowest ISO I can get away with comfortably and set the exposure manually.

For most things I use the matrix metering at "normal" or maybe 1/3-stop less exposure than the camera says. At the track I just didn't like what the camera was wanting to give me so I metered off a grassy area of the track and gave about 1/3-less exposure than the camera indicated. That gave me a "standard" to meter off of even under clouds or while the light changed during the day.

10. Scott,
    Wonderful race photos, the detail and colors are great - to see such detail even under the cars in what you describe as poor lighting - you should be quite pleased. Thanks for sharing.

Mike

11. great series, good eye for action

12. More images (pt2)

Thanks for the comments all. Here are more from today with much better light most of the time. If I hold up I'll try different viewpoints tomorrow:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    hi scott-

nice, no matter how hard i try, i've never managed to catch one of these shots with the flames shooting out of the exhaust.

ricky

14. Hi Ricky... Yeah me too - took me about 3 laps to get that one.

15. More pictures, part 3

A few from today. Mixed lighting all day...I got sick of worrying about how cloudy it was getting and metering in manual so I settled on Program -.3/matrix for awhile with good success.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. moffo

moffo

Oct 20, 2005
    Central TX
    Incedible shots! You make me miss my bugeye sprite. Did you have to retouch the photo to get rid of the pool of oil under the engine ;-)

17. Thanks! Hehe. They don't leak oil, they just mark their territory!

18. Beam me up, Scottie....

....& take me near those cars......

Beam up that photographer, too....maybe we may learn a thing or two from this guy :biggrin:

Really nice captures & exposures, Scott.

Thanks for sharing.