Dazzling Duos - Hummingbirds

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
I challenged myself to try to capture more than one hummingbird per photo.
Here are a few of my photos. More “Dazzling Duos” can be seen on my SmugMug site.

As always – comments and critiques are VERY MUCH appreciated!

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Thanks for looking!

You have met your challenge very well. Great hummingbird pictures. Thanks for sharing.

I am still working on the "get at least one good hummingbird picture" challenge. :biggrin::biggrin:

Karen,
Absolutely fantastic!!!:biggrin: #5 is my favorite.
Could you share your site set-up and shooting data for us Hummer neophytes?

Thanks,

Karen - we discussed where these images were taken when you put the first batch up for viewing. My question concerning these new images - and the previous ones - concerns the specifics of the backgrounds used. I assume that these are either paintings, OOF photos of gardens, etc., but they all have that soft, gently colored look. Care to elaborate on the backgrounds used; how they were made or where purchased, etc?

Gary

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
You have met your challenge very well. Great hummingbird pictures. Thanks for sharing.

I am still working on the "get at least one good hummingbird picture" challenge. :biggrin::biggrin:
Thank you! Photographing the hummers was a lot of fun!

Karen,
Absolutely fantastic!!!:biggrin: #5 is my favorite.
Could you share your site set-up and shooting data for us Hummer neophytes?

Thanks,
For the flash set ups, we had 1 main flash, one side flash, a belly flash and a background flash. All flashes were set to 1/32 power. Camera on manual. Shutter speed @ synch speed. F18-22. WB set to flash.

Karen, those are amazing.:cool:
Hummers are so territorial -- I don't think I've ever seen two feeding side-by-side
Thank you! In addition to the doubles I got one triple and ONE with FOUR hummers in one shot. Not a great photo - but each hummer is distinct in the photo.....it's on my website.

Fantastic work, Karen.
Thanks! Just trying to keep up with all the great hummingbirds photos being posted here!

Incredible!
Thank you so much for commenting!

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
Karen - we discussed where these images were taken when you put the first batch up for viewing. My question concerning these new images - and the previous ones - concerns the specifics of the backgrounds used. I assume that these are either paintings, OOF photos of gardens, etc., but they all have that soft, gently colored look. Care to elaborate on the backgrounds used; how they were made or where purchased, etc?

Gary
Well - lucky me! John and Barbara Gerlach's Hummingbird workshop provided the flashes and the backgrounds. But they also taught us how to do everything ourselves.

Briefly, you can spray paint a 24 x 30" background using about 3 colors for a natural looking effect. Apparently the trick is finding non-glossy, MATTE spray paints so there aren't unwanted reflections. Mount the backgrounds about 5' behind where the hummingbirds will be.

You can also take OOF photos and use those as backgrounds.

I highly recommend the Gerlach workshop. You will shoot hundreds of photos every day and learn a lot!

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom