DC-Area Photographers: Take Pictures for the American Cancer Society

I am organizing a group of official volunteer photographers to take pictures of the American Cancer Society's National Capital Area event, Making Strides Against Breast Cancer. Thousands of men, women and children will walk non-competitively among the monuments of the National Mall to raise money donated to the American Cancer Society.

Edited Sept. 26: Thanks to the eight volunteer photographers, all positions are filled.

Every year, I join hundreds of volunteers to help ensure that the event, now in its 5th year, increases awareness of breast-cancer issues and raises money in the fight against breast cancer. I keep coming back as a volunteer because meeting joyful breast cancer survivors, talking with enthusiastic supporters, and having a lot of fun knowing that I'm also helping a worthy cause is so rewarding. This particular year I am working with the National Capital Area Communications Director to organize volunteer photographers.

Details that have been worked out so far are shown below. I will use this thread to announce other details as they become known.

When?
The event takes place Sunday, October 19. Photographers will arrive at about 8:30am and will be taking pictures until about noon.

Where?
The event kicks off at the Sylvan Theatre, which is on the grounds of the National Mall very near the Washington Monument. I will greet all official volunteer photographers at the check-in booth that caters to volunteers.

The Rules
As an official volunteer photographer:

1) You will receive the benefits of all official volunteers, including a free tee-shirt (walkers pay for their tee-shirt), a free light breakfast of pastries and drinks, and heart-felt thanks from my wife and me :smile:.

2) You will retain copyright of your photographs

3) You will provide electronic files of your photographs to the American Cancer Society to be used free of charge forever.

Edited Sept. 20: 4) You will be credited with all of your published images if you include your name in the metadata.

Edited Sept. 23: 5) Details about the image files are shown below:

5A) File format: JPEG

5B) Compression level: the highest image quality, which is the least amount of compression.

5C) File resolution: 300 PPI

5D) File size (length and width): the size produced by the camera

5E) Editing: Please do NOT make any adjustments; provide the in-camera image.

5F) Quantity: Though there is no limit to the number of images you send, you might want to aim for no more than about 100 images. Please do not send any images that don't meet your own criteria for quality.

5G) Transmitting files: I will provide an email address via PM for transmitting the files electronically using yousendit.com, which is free if you limit the data to 100MB in a single transmission. There is a maximum amount of data that can be sent in a month for free, but I don't remember what that amount is. Regardless, unless you are already using the service regularly, I don't think that factor will be a limitation in this particular case. Alternatively, you can send CDs at your own expense.

5H) Deadline: Monday, October 27. That's actually more of a target than a deadline, but it would be great if you could transmit your files by that date. That gives us a full week and an entire weekend to cull our images, remembering that we won't be editing them.

Likely Use of Your Photographs
The American Cancer Society hopes to publish photographs taken at the event for internal use, as presentations and gifts to flagship sponsors, and in marketing materials to the public from Delaware to Georgia.

Photographic Goals
The Communications Director has asked that we make a point of taking photographs of:

1) The Opening Ceremony and Pre-Ceremony Activities
2) Crowds of walkers
3) Close-ups of people showing emotion
4) Images with monuments in the background (for use locally)
5) Images excluding monuments in the background (for use in other communities from Delaware to Georgia)

The more variety and creativity, the better!

Assignments
You can position yourself anywhere and at any number of places along the walking course, which ranges from three to five miles long. You can also photograph the opening ceremony, pre-ceremony activities, and the volunteers at the many booths. To ensure that we as a group cover the entire event, I would appreciate it if you would please coordinate with me an assignment that is particularly appealing to you.

Express your interest!
If you are interested in being an official volunteer photographer, please indicate that in a post. It's not necessary that you make a commitment until possibly as late as October 15. I am getting the information out now so you can hold the date and so I can get an early assessment of the level of interest.

Who can join us?
Please feel free to invite other photographers to join us. Though this is not limited to Nikon Cafe members, I do ask that everyone uses this thread to communicate about the event. Hmmm, in the end I guess everyone will have become a Nikon Cafe member. Not bad! :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
It's good to hear from all of you. Please spread the word among other people from Baltimore, Washington, Richmond and points in between.

Don't forget that people can sign up as walkers and volunteers in other capacities. They can go to the Making Strides website (link provided in the first post) to do that. All volunteers will eventually be in touch with my wife, Joellen Brassfield.

I

iLLMaCK

I'll see if I can make it up there. Kinda a long trip for me though

Sharon and illmack, it's great to see your interest. Thank you!

I received a PM asking if I have given any thought to how the files will be handled. I haven't gotten to that level of detail yet with the Communications Director, but I do plan that each of the volunteer photographers will send their images directly to him rather than sending them to me. He and I plan to talk about some of the details next week.

Mike, I would be more than willing to come down from Philly for this cause. If anyone else from the Philadelphia area is thinking about doing this, but feel it is too far of a drive, I would be glad to meet them at a convenient location and pick them up.

My sister is a cancer survivor. I photographed the Walk for Life event held locally here last month and can say that it was a very moving event.

You can see a series of photos that I captured while there HERE

Jeff, that's nice of you to come from Philadelphia.

Justin, thanks for providing examples of the kinds of opportunities we can expect to capture. I love the picture of the bags. Are those luminaria bags?

Kim, you might want to contact the American Cancer Society in your area and inquire about volunteer photography opportunities.

Latest threads

Top Bottom