Dead CD Drive - Removing the CD

Discussion in 'PC/Windows/Linux' started by rotxlk82, Jul 6, 2008.

1. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    I have a fairly old laptop which will soon be disposed of. I have reason to believe that inside its CD drive there is a disc which is of some importance and value to me. I therefore need to retrieve the CD from the machine, this would be simple if it would power up as I could simple remove the disc once the mechanism had ejected. However the terminal fault with the computer is that it won’t power up, it seems totally dead and therefore I cannot activate the motors to remove the CD.

Anyone got any bright ideas that are easier than me pulling the computer apart?

2. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    There is often a small hole somewhere on the face of the drive. Inserting a straightened out paper clip should pop the drawer.

3. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    That sounds good. Thanks.

I don't really care what happens to the machine as it's essentially a write-off, however if I can get it out with minimum fuss it's a bonus.

4. ajbooker

ajbooker

Mar 17, 2008
    Omaha, NE
    If there isn't a hole for the paperclip, which is what I usually see on laptop drives you can always try removing the whole cd drive and taking just the drive apart.

5. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    That would have been the backup plan.

I was lucky however, there was a hole and the paper clip got it open very easily.

Annoyingly the CD that I was looking for wasn't in there! :mad: