1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Dead Insect INSIDE Lens

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by visigoth, Aug 3, 2009.

1. visigoth

visigoth

Jul 4, 2009
    Oaxaca, Mexico
    This is a low-tech question. I just bought a used AIS 105/2.5 -- and there is a dead insect between the elements, towards the edge of the glass. Doesn't seem to affect anything: the lens is super sharp, and I'm seeing no flare (and the bug's too far from the focal plane to appear in the image). BUT:

Is this likely to lead to fungus? I'm in Mexico, so it's not trivial getting a lens CLA'd -- but I will if it's crucial.

2. IsamuM

IsamuM Not-quite- Moderator

Jan 11, 2009
    Tokyo, Japan
    Hi Douglas,

I don't think a dead bug can lead to fungus unless you are in a high humidity environment. However, one wonders how that bug got inside.

Many years ago I heard a story about a moth inside an Olympus lens, but somehow I find the story a bit far fetched.

3. visigoth

visigoth

Jul 4, 2009
    Oaxaca, Mexico
    Kind of hard to figure out. It looks like a large mite, or the like. Perhaps it crawled in when it was really tiny, and grew? (That's not all that probable, itself.)

It is, I assure you, there.

4. IsamuM

IsamuM Not-quite- Moderator

Jan 11, 2009
    Tokyo, Japan
    Hi Douglas,

Don't get me wrong. I don't doubt your story. I'm just not sure how a bug could get into a lens. While lens factories might not be as clean as a semiconductor fab, they are pretty clean.

I guess one possibility is that the lens was in for a repair at one time or another, and taken apart. I don't think all repair facilities are as clean as the factories, so something might get in at such a time.

Anyway, if the bug isn't causing problems with your pics, I'd leave it as it is unless it really bothers you. I have a zoom lens or two that has quite a few specks of dust in it, but that doesn't worry me too much.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.