Dead PC

Doing a build it yourself computer helps when Replacing or upgrading components. Changed a lot on mine over the years

Glad to hear Richard got back up and running!

I don't have any comments about appliances (I rent, thankfully), but as for computers, like Nick did I work in higher ed IT (20+ years now) and have enough of the corporate Mac toys on hand to hold me for awhile without having to buy my own continuously, though I do have a screen-damaged MacBook Air of my own at home and my own 2011-build tinker toy i7 Hackintosh in the office running Mojave, Win10 and Deepin Linux.

I've said this before but IMO a Hackintosh is the best of all worlds: You build and upgrade the box just like you would a PC, but you also enjoy the MacOS AND Windows and Linux if you desire. So there is no "Mac or Windows" dilemma to solve. Just some tweaking now and again for those who enjoy such projects. You can also buy them pre-built from various online sources. Doing so is no secret (multiple websites offer help) and Apple is surely fully aware.

As for Jim and others with pre-2012 Apple hardware, you can get around the "minimum system requirements" with little effort and use Mojave even on a 2008 computer. I assume this will be true of the next MacOS as well, as the trick has worked since at least Sierra. I get such a thrill booting up my 2008 17" MacBook Pro and seeing Mojave! Even though I really don't use the computer for much...
I neither have the patience nor the enthusiasm for a hackintosh. It is also the reason I no longer play in the Linux world. Computers are tools and I do not want to be in the tool repair business much less the tool manufacturing business. It the fullness of time and at the pleasure of the monarchs at Apple, I may yet build another PC but it will run Windows.

Since I work in IT I don't mind the tinkering, even though it can get pretty geeky. I've also tried running Mojave under both Windows and Linux as VMs on that same hack, but in one setup my mouse got stuck outside the VM, the other inside it......

As for my particular Hackintosh (which is not my main machine, basically just a tinker box like I said), it is in a G5 case – APPLE BRANDED HARDWARE. So the plot thickens...

And the reason people build them is because Apple just won't give its users choice. And if they do, it's twice the cost for half the performance. Rumor has it a new Mac Pro is coming in 2019, but I bet we can't afford it. The new Mac Mini has decent specs, but again, I just saw a video where an Intel NUC Hackintosh (at half the price) performed about 1/3 or more better, with less RAM and a slower SSD.

Computers seem to have plateaued as smartphones have replaced them for many applications in everyday life, especially having the edge on mobility.
Innovation comes from other ancillary areas such as AI (even the consumer Alexa version of it).
One area where “computers” dominate is in “the cloud” infrastructure, servers in data farms are the backbone of a lot of features that we enjoy today, as well as cloud based data storage.

Since I work in IT I don't mind the tinkering, even though it can get pretty geeky. I've also tried running Mojave under both Windows and Linux as VMs on that same hack, but in one setup my mouse got stuck outside the VM, the other inside it......

As for my particular Hackintosh (which is not my main machine, basically just a tinker box like I said), it is in a G5 case – APPLE BRANDED HARDWARE. So the plot thickens...

And the reason people build them is because Apple just won't give its users choice. And if they do, it's twice the cost for half the performance. Rumor has it a new Mac Pro is coming in 2019, but I bet we can't afford it. The new Mac Mini has decent specs, but again, I just saw a video where an Intel NUC Hackintosh (at half the price) performed about 1/3 or more better, with less RAM and a slower SSD.
Yes, but... ;) You can build a Hackintosh for cheaper than a Mac mini, but it's so not the same | ZDNet

I, too, think the Apple Tax is high. I've paid it so far because the alternatives have other costs.

I can envision the phone as a central CPU that peripherals plug into, at least for everyday use (maybe not for video editors, but give it enough time).

As for Apple hardware, of course we all want it first. But then you pay the price (cost and limitations). I do understand the tradeoffs of the other options. I guess no matter what we will be paying somebody something!

Thanks Doug for the good article. I wonder what would have happened if he freed himself to build a full-size tower?

As for updates borking one's Hackintosh, the trick is to keep your modifications on the EFI partition (as opposed to in the system's Extensions folder) so OS updates don't erase your customizations. Then you can tweak the EFI-based items as needed, even by sticking the Hack's HDD or maybe SSD externally onto a real Mac and quickly accessing its folders that way.

Thanks Doug for the good article. I wonder what would have happened if he freed himself to build a full-size tower?

As for updates borking one's Hackintosh, the trick is to keep your modifications on the EFI partition (as opposed to in the system's Extensions folder) so OS updates don't erase your customizations. Then you can tweak the EFI-based items as needed, even by sticking the Hack's HDD or maybe SSD externally onto a real Mac and quickly accessing its folders that way.
Good tip on keeping the mods in the eff partition.

Here are some quickie iPhone pix of my Hack, first the case and insides with a stack of HDDs, each holding a different OS (and extra storage in exFAT format for all to access). For awhile I had an older 120 gig SSD in there; it's now in my 2008 17" MacBook Pro running Mojave). i7/2600k processor, Gigabyte Z68 board, 640W power supply, older Zotac 1GB GPU, 16 gigs mismatched RAM, extra wires and parts all over the place. Shown running Deepin Linux and macOS Mojave (Win10 not shown; use your imagination...). I bought this used from a colleague a few years ago running Snow Leopard; I made various hardware and software changes and use it for fun.

El Capitan on this setup was able to use the second (older Apple) monitor; I have to tweak Mojave somehow to do so. Windows and Linux access both monitors. The main "monitor" is an older Magnavox TV (freebee). The DVD is irrelevant (I was using the Hack with Handbrake to digitize old DVDs to MP4).

hack.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom