1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Dead pixels? Need some help!

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by shipsaeki, Sep 3, 2008.

1. shipsaeki

shipsaeki

Jun 9, 2008
    New York
    Hello,

I recently noticed that when shooting ISO 800 or above in the dark, that I get these little red pixels in my image. They always appear in the same spot in every picture so I'm guessing its something with the image sensor?

I'm shooting with a D80. I haven't tried shooting with a different lens yet. The pictures were also with longer exposure. The first one was 22 sec, and the second was 8 sec.

Any idea on what it could be?

Here are a couple of pictures of what they look like.

DSC_0085.
    NIKON D80    ---    28mm    f/22.0    20s    ISO 800

DSC_0091.
    NIKON D80    ---    28mm    f/22.0    8s    ISO 800

Thanks!

2. Bob Coutant

Bob Coutant Moderator Moderator

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Most, if not all, cameras have at least a few hot pixels. Most of the time they won't bother anything. If you want, you can map the location of those sites and then use the map as a mask for correction purposes. To do the mapping, use your "troublesome settings" to take a photo with the lens cap on. Then convert that image to a high contrast version. [This will likely show more sites than you expected.] Save the image for those rare occasions when you might need to make corrections.

3. Why not just use Adobe Photoshop? It takes care of hot pixels automatically.

4. Bob Coutant

Bob Coutant Moderator Moderator

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Touché

5. shipsaeki

shipsaeki

Jun 9, 2008
    New York
    i'm not very familiar with photoshop and don't have the money to buy it right now either... :325:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.