Dead Pixels on my D3

Sad day for sure, had to send my D3 into Nikon service for what appears to be two dead pixels. I've noticed of late that I've had considerable dust on my sensor, but on my last outing I also noticed that I had two completely black spots. These spots were equal distance apart and on the same horizontal axis and again very black, didn't look like the normal dust bunny. I tried cleaning the sensor with a blower to no avail, so I called Nikon Service Center, they suggested that it could very well be a couple of dead pixels. So it went into them this morning.
Anyone else had this issue? I'll let everyone know how it turns out. They said that they could remap the sensor, whatever that means.

Louie

Every camera will develop hot and/or dead pixels in time. Nikon can remap your sensor which means it disables these pixels and the camera "fills"these pixels with the information of the surrounding pixels. My D2X has been remapped twice now, succesfully.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Every camera will develop hot and/or dead pixels in time. Nikon can remap your sensor which means it disables these pixels and the camera "fills"these pixels with the information of the surrounding pixels. My D2X has been remapped twice now, succesfully.
Thanks Nick, I was hoping it could be fixed without having to completely disassemble my camera. In hearing from others, it sounds as though this condition does indeed happen and can be fixed in a pretty straight forward manner.

No, your camera does not have to be dismantled. They just connect the camera by probably USB and with a Nikon dedicated tool on their PC they perform certain operations in order to remap the sensor...

Takes about 20 minutes on average...

Most people have a heck of a lot of hot pixels they never notice. I found two one day at a concert and was upset. When I loaded the image in adobe camera raw, they were gone! But they were actually still there! ACR automatically maps out hot pixels. Nonethe less, I started looking on my camera and fount at least twelve. None were seen on the computer at all, only the camera display and under very specific conditions of lighing. It is really hard to see most of them.
Don't worry about it. All raw processors automatically get rid of them in software.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom