1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Critique Dead Sunflower

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by Mike Buckley, Aug 11, 2018.

1. The photo shown below is one of the sunflowers in the scene at Critique - Sunflowers in their last moments. The photo shown below was captured five days later.

Setup
    The background is art paper mottled in brown and green tones. A small continuous-light lamp in the front left area was fitted with a diffusion sock to create soft shadows and matte black aluminum foil to control light falling on the background. A flash unit in the right rear area back lit the fuzz on the stem and leaves.

Mike 2018-08-11--003-S.
    NIKON D7000    90.0 mm f/2.8    90mm    f/18.0    4s    ISO 100

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Bart

Bart

Sep 20, 2009
    Beautifully executed, Mike! Lovely tonality.
    Great use of lighting.
    I really like this kind of subject.

3. Nicely done- as you know I really like the study of dead flowers- I have a couple of sunflowers drying in the studio as we speak. I hope they turn out as nice as this.
    Gary

4. Thank you to Bart and Gary!

Gary: I look forward to viewing your dead sunflowers.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
  5. Great tonality indeed Mike!

6. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    You captured the lighting beautifully.

7. Thank you also to Seneca! I haven't been in touch with you for years and hope everything is going really well for you.

8. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    Hi Mike...yes I am been MIA for about 3 years from this forum...hit a couple of rough patches in my life, but all is good, I picked myself up and all is great. Nothing major ... just needed a break. Don't recognize a lot of people here, but that's ok...change is good. Thanks my friend.

9. I also recently returned after being MIA, so the timing of your return works especially well for me. Good to know the rough patches are all smoothed out. While away, I got heavily into desktop photography. Looking forward to seeing images of yours!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Seneca - so nice to see you posting. Welcome Back!!

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.