Death Valley

Hey Everyone,

These are some photos that I took in Death Valley while there 2 weeks ago with my wife. I also did a story on the experience for folks who are interested in a narrative about shooting in the Park which has some different photos in it. This was my 2nd time shooting Death Valley.

http://www.nwpphotoforum.com/ubbthreads/information/php/2007_Articles/jm/deathValley2.php

As always, c&c is welcomed.

-James

The Dunes
_MG_9033_dunes_SandsAM.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Aguereberry Point
_MG_9181_w_AguereberryPt.jpg

Aguereberry Point
_MG_9322_aguereberrypt_blend_w_article.jpg

Dante's View (actually, opposite of Dante's View. :))
_MG_9332_dantesview_w.jpg

A cactus:
_MG_9349_w.jpg

Rhyolite Ghost Town
_MG_9419_rhyolite_w.jpg

The Race Track
_MG_9525_racetrack_w.jpg

The Race Track
_MG_9645_racetrack_bl_1wARTICLE.jpg

Back from the Track
_MG_8906_sunset_w.jpg

Hi Glacier,

Thank you very much for the kind words. I was very pleased with this year's Death Valley trip, yet I also felt like I barely scratched the surface either.

James

I agree with Gale on the flare issue but not a ot you could have done about it if you wanted to keep that angle. A great series of image, the second 'Race Track' image is probably my favourite and the 'Rhyolite Ghost Town' is also very interesting.

T

Trailfinder

Great looking photographs - Personally I like them all just fine :)

Brad G...
OKC/OKLA

I like the use of flare in compositions. In the case of the shot taken at Dante's View, I feel that the brightness of the flare draws the eye from the brown textured waves in the back. I suppose it is a matter of style - and I do not shy away from it. Actually, I often look for flare, much like I would look for shadow, shapes and lines as a means of enhancing a photograph. If there is a sense of dissatisfaction with the photograph with the flare, I am going to suggest that the problem is not the flare. It is the otherwise lack of visible anchors in the photograph to draw in the eye.

James

All nice but I especially like the dunes and race track shots. I'd heard it's getting harder to find actual tracks out there as so many people have taken the rocks

"All nice but I especially like the dunes and race track shots. I'd heard it's getting harder to find actual tracks out there as so many people have taken the rocks"

Let's hope not. It is obvious that people do indeed take the rocks. There were several sections that had large tracks (often in circles), but no rocks....so, unless the rock was taken somewhere, I have no explanation that could cause its absence.

What I would like to know is 'how fast the rocks move' and over 'what time period.' The trails that are produced by these rocks just blow me away.

James

Thank you all for the very kind thoughts. LOL, I am starting to 'run low' on photographs that I think are quality enough to share. However, here is another one that I really liked from the Dunes series that is similar in nature to the one I showed on my website's article. I wish it were a bit sharper at the bottom of the image, but the over-all effect is still nice.

James

_MG_8953_w.jpg

Hi Catz,

Thank you very much for the kind words. I enjoyed myself more than I ever thought that I would...LOL...however, I am already chomping at the bit to try it again. Every time I think I did it perfectly, I see other samples that just humble me.

James

Latest threads

Top Bottom