Debating whether to sell my 70-200mm f/2.8 VR II or 300mm f/4E PF VR?

Sell either my 70-200mm f/2.8 VR II or 300mm f/4E PF VR?

• Keep the 70-200mm f/2.8 VR II

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Keep the 300mm f/4E PF VR

Votes: 4 80.0%

• Total voters
I'm thinking of thinning out the lens herd to help finance other things (namely my gravel biking :D), so I'm trying to decide which of these two lenses to sell? I'm leaning somewhat towards keeping the 70-200mm f/2.8 VR II due to being a true pro workhorse, doubles as a fast focusing low light telephoto lens and is an excellent portrait lens when need be. The cons being, I'm not to fond of the weight and I have an 85mm f/1.4 for my Sony kit that renders portraits beautifully and can double as a very good short/low light telephoto lens. On the other hand I have the Nikon 300mm f/4E PF VR, that's light as a feather, has no equal in other camera systems, effective VR, sharp wide open and I can mount my old Nikon TC-14E II with no loss in quality giving me an almost 400mm f/5.6 FOV. Cons being, I haven't shot much with it (due to current events) and well, it's an f/4 limiting it to mainly outdoor activities.

The old guard working pro in me says keep the 70-200mm f/2.8 VR II because that's my old school bread-n-butter FL, but the now aging me says keep the 300mm f/4E PF VR lens, embrace lighter gear and think of all the long lens opportunities in the future once travel opens up again!

Any suggestions one way or the other are welcomed!

Last edited:
you certainly outlined the predicament. I voted to keep the PF. I think that will hold more value and be versatile as a long lens for you + it does well with 1.7 TC too. IMHO, the F mount zoom will devalue more due to FL version and S versions. You don't say what bodies you have or may get. I also think the 300 PF does well on Z bodies. If you need mirrorless 70-200, then the S mount or Sony equivalent cold suit you. And by they way, you can't be that old! I saw your weight lifting! Biking will keep you young! I am 60 and plan of keeping on!

Real Name
David
That's a tough one. Is the 85 really the only other lens you have in that range? I've done a good number of portraits with an 85 (the old cream machine). But I was rarely a prime guy during events. What stuff are you mainly shooting these days?

Real Name
Andy
Not to confuse your decision, but I'd actually keep both the 300 and the zoom and sell the Sony 85. I find myself reaching for my 85 a lot less these days for my portrait work. In fact, I even purchased the Z-mount 85 and decided to sell it shortly afterwards. 85mm is simply not long enough to maintain a comfortable distance for a headshot and I seldom shoot portraits wide open. Also, in the case of the Sony GM version, it might be worth the same or more than the 70-200 VRII on the used market.

That's a tough one. Is the 85 really the only other lens you have in that range? I've done a good number of portraits with an 85 (the old cream machine). But I was rarely a prime guy during events. What stuff are you mainly shooting these days?

I haven't shot as much event work lately and the 300mm f/4 was originally purchased for daytime event shooting. The 70-200mm f/2.8 VR tends to be used for lower light event and stage work, but I've been finding I have more flexibility lately and I haven't been in a position to use the zoom as much since I can just physically move. Both are very solid lenses, though I give the 300mm sharpness advantage with the 70-200mm being able to render nicer photos.

My current kit is split between Sony and Nikon:

Nikon:
16-35/4VR
28-85AF (Sleep sharp lens)
50/1.4EX (non-Art)
70-200mm f/2.8 VR-II
300mm f/4E PF VR

Sony:
18mm/2.8
35mm/1.8
85mm/1.4
28-200/2.8-5.6FE

Not to confuse your decision, but I'd actually keep both the 300 and the zoom and sell the Sony 85. I find myself reaching for my 85 a lot less these days for my portrait work. In fact, I even purchased the Z-mount 85 and decided to sell it shortly afterwards. 85mm is simply not long enough to maintain a comfortable distance for a headshot and I seldom shoot portraits wide open. Also, in the case of the Sony GM version, it might be worth the same or more than the 70-200 VRII on the used market.

I actually have the Samyang 85mm f/1.4 AF lens for Sony. This lens is better than Nikon's own 85mm f/1.4 AF-S and I feel it's very close to Sigma's 85mm f/1.4 Art DG and with less distortion.

Last edited:
Real Name
Andrew
As much as I love the 300/4 PF, I don’t really use it as much as I think I should to justify keeping it.

for the times I want 300mm on Nikon, I have the 70-300 that I can use. I don’t really need a low light 300 to be honest.

the big thing I got the 300 for was to use it with the tc14eIII on a crop body in Yellowstone. That was 4 years ago now.

I could be in the same situation as you.

I too have an 85mm fast prime and use it rarely. I could get away with using the 70-200/2.8 at 85 for portraits of need be.

you’ve made me think about this again, and if I need extreme reach, I can go m43 for that or really, look into a 400 or 500 mm prime instead.

so my bottom line would be to sell the 300mm if shooting long telephoto is not really your thing.

Aging you? Haha. You were in pretty amazing shape the last time I saw you and it seems you've been quite busy since then. How about sell the 70-200 and pick up a 180 2.8. Would gap the 85 and 300. Affordable, light and sharp. AF is a little antique-ish but your skill set can make up for it.

As much as I love the 300/4 PF, I don’t really use it as much as I think I should to justify keeping it.

for the times I want 300mm on Nikon, I have the 70-300 that I can use. I don’t really need a low light 300 to be honest.

the big thing I got the 300 for was to use it with the tc14eIII on a crop body in Yellowstone. That was 4 years ago now.

I could be in the same situation as you.

I too have an 85mm fast prime and use it rarely. I could get away with using the 70-200/2.8 at 85 for portraits of need be.

you’ve made me think about this again, and if I need extreme reach, I can go m43 for that or really, look into a 400 or 500 mm prime instead.

so my bottom line would be to sell the 300mm if shooting long telephoto is not really your thing.

I originally bought the 300mm f/4 PF to shoot down the line shots for races, but I think in retrospect I could have obtained the same look using my 70-200mm with the 1.4 TC. My other thought for the 300mm was for travel since it's so lightweight, but again that's not happening anytime soon! The lens I really liked is the 70-200mm f/4 VR, due to weight and just being incredibly sharp, but it doesn't have the same rendering as the f/2.8 zoom lens, making it less useful for portraits. My 85mm is definitely staying in my kit, I think anything 50mm and 85mm with at least an f/1.4 aperture is where I like to shoot for people.

Aging you? Haha. You were in pretty amazing shape the last time I saw you and it seems you've been quite busy since then. How about sell the 70-200 and pick up a 180 2.8. Would gap the 85 and 300. Affordable, light and sharp. AF is a little antique-ish but your skill set can make up for it.

The other option is to keep the 300mm for Nikon and the use the 85mm on the wider end. I have the Tamron 28-200mm to cover the mid-end. I'd loose the 2.8, but it'd give me a lightweight kit option with lots of focal range. I have no problem mixing and matching my kit since I gaffer tape the logos and don't get brands mixed up! :ROFLMAO:

Real Name
Andy
My current kit is split between Sony and Nikon:
The other option is to keep the 300mm for Nikon and the use the 85mm on the wider end. I have the Tamron 28-200mm to cover the mid-end. I'd loose the 2.8, but it'd give me a lightweight kit option with lots of focal range.
Since you have three fast normal primes, and it sounds like you can live without f/2.8 for telephoto work, this sounds like a very sensible solution.

Real Name
David
It's too bad the 180mm is the only option between the 85mm and 300mm that's not $$$ or manual AF.

Real Name
Mike
Look at your photos to decide which you use most. I know that's hard to sell premium glass, even if used only occasionally. I have a simple system of 24/1.8, 35/1.8, 180/2.8EDIF and have thought many times of buying a 70-200/4 but don't think I could part w/ my 180 so I've not made the move.

Look at your photos to decide which you use most. I know that's hard to sell premium glass, even if used only occasionally. I have a simple system of 24/1.8, 35/1.8, 180/2.8EDIF and have thought many times of buying a 70-200/4 but don't think I could part w/ my 180 so I've not made the move.

I've had lots of premium glass throughout the years and some lenses I just flat out miss! The 70-200mm f/4 VR is amazing, but as I've mentioned on this thread, the difference between f/2.8 and f/4 is slightly noticeable for many types of subjects. It was one of the reasons why I sold mine! The 180mm is a lens I've always wanted, but I've passed up on several times.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom