Decentered Tammy 17-50

I love my Tammy 17-50 but after recent testing, I've found it is decentered - the LHS requires a -ve AF adjust & the RHS requires a +ve adjust. This accounts for some of the inconsistent focussing I've noticed in real world shots.

I'd like to get it fixed, but I've had a bad experience with my local repairer giving me the run-around recently, so I'd like to be able to approach it with confidence if I go down this track.

Also, the lens is out of warranty, so I'd have to fork out an inspection fee & a repair fee if it can be fixed.

Any advice on how to approach the problem? Does it sound like an uncontroversial repair that can be easily identified?

Send it to Tamron. It's not hard for them to fix a decentered lens. Sadly, their repair centers have plenty of experience in doing that.

as far a I know, decentering means the edge of the glass is not a constant distance from the true optical center.

Repair will involve replacing elements as there is no way to shift these off axis in the mount.

Part of what you pay for with better lenses is the number of elements the manufacturer does not use because of rejects. Secondly better materials with closer tolerences, and lastly better assembly with more care taken.

Consider this when purchasing your next lens.

as far a I know, decentering means the edge of the glass is not a constant distance from the true optical center.

Repair will involve replacing elements as there is no way to shift these off axis in the mount.

Part of what you pay for with better lenses is the number of elements the manufacturer does not use because of rejects. Secondly better materials with closer tolerences, and lastly better assembly with more care taken.

Consider this when purchasing your next lens.

I once had an 80-200AF-D two ring. It was soft on one side of the frame...no question about it. Nikon had it for 3 weeks. They could not fix it within financial means, and replaced it with an 80-200AF-S...no complaints here.

Mike

Latest threads

Top Bottom