Decided it was time to expand my horizons and

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by Gerald Plowman, Jul 8, 2007.

1. shoot something besides BIF. Shot these in Manual Mode (another first for me) trying to keep the bright water under control (metered off the water). I see such great images here and would appreciate any suggestions . . thanks.

large.

View attachment 104756

View attachment 104757

After my first time out I can attest to the fact there certainly are more challenges shooting "landscapes."

2. i'm no expert in flowing water photos, but you gotta watch your highlights in there. i would meter off the brightest point and go from there. as far as compositional choices, that's all up to you, but if it were me, i would not place the stream in the middle of the frame all the time. and get lower! try different perspectives. good luck!

3. It looks like you had dappled sunlight, coming through the trees. That is the worst situation for taking flowing water shots. In that situation, it is almost impossible to get a decent shot, without merging images. The best light for the shots, is when he skies are overcast. A slight drizzle is great. That way, the dynamic range is greatly reduced. Sunny conditions can still work; but, you need even lighting, such as when there is a completely open canopy or a closed canopy that completely shades the water.

Heavy forested areas, such as you had, can be difficult, because you not only have the bright water, but also the dark, shaded areas, under the trees.

As was already pointed out, spot meter the brightest part of the water to get your exposure. Get the water right, and let the shadows fall as they may. If you don't want to spot meter, take a shot with matrix metering and check either the histogram of highlights screen. Then retake the shot making adjustment for the blown highlights. You can take a series of shots, reducig the exposure as you go, until the histogram or highlight screen shows that you have no blown highlights. Obviously, spot metering, to try to get it right in the first place is faster.

4. good suggestions, thanks

Cliff, very good points. . I thought I had gotten rid of the white blinkies but obviously hadn't. . . going to start taking something to put over my head and camera so I can see the LCD when in the sun! . . Spot metering makes sence. . I was using Matrix. . thanks for your help.