Decided to bite the bullet on the 50 mm S lens

If I bit any more bullets, I will soon have no teeth...
Anyhow just picked this up since I didn't have a 50mm lens in my line up and due to the positive reviews that I've read for this 1.8 lens.
Here's just a quick shot, straight out of the camera, hand held.
I due believe it's sharp enough for my purposes!
Pardon the cluttered table.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Real Name
Chris
If I bit any more bullets, I will soon have no teeth...
Anyhow just picked this up since I didn't have a 50mm lens in my line up and due to the positive reviews that I've read for this 1.8 lens.
Here's just a quick shot, straight out of the camera, hand held.
I due believe it's sharp enough for my purposes!
Pardon the cluttered table.
View attachment 1637930
It’s a very good lens, I have been very happy with it. Although it’s a little “short” for my tastes for portraits; I have use it for that and it does just fine. Very nice bokeh.

Real Name
Chris
The 50 S may be the best 50mm lens I have ever owned. I also have the 35 S which is another modern wonder that is in the same league with the 50. The upcoming 85 S is on my wish list.
Yes me too! I think that’s gonna he my new portrait lens if it holds to the same quality standards as the others! I really want the 2.8 24-70 too but I can’t justify switching from the f4 version really other than its “neat” haha

Real Name
Ian
I need you 50/1.8 S owners to create a thread in the Image Showcase forum and start populating it with images from this lens on the Z bodies! My current "50" is the 58/1.4 G, which I love for how it renders. However, having a native 50mm may be of interest as well to me.

I'd really love to see some more images from this lens from Cafe members, so I'm hoping someone does create an Image Showcase thread and begins posting images to there, as it's a great resource for those potential buyers sitting on the fence.

Real Name
Jake
I need you 50/1.8 S owners to create a thread in the Image Showcase forum and start populating it with images from this lens on the Z bodies! My current "50" is the 58/1.4 G, which I love for how it renders. However, having a native 50mm may be of interest as well to me.

I'd really love to see some more images from this lens from Cafe members, so I'm hoping someone does create an Image Showcase thread and begins posting images to there, as it's a great resource for those potential buyers sitting on the fence.
Now that you mentioned it, asides from the Meike 50/1.7 showcase I created the other day, are there any Native Z lens showcases yet?

Though I like my Meike, the 50/1.8 S has caught my eye, too.

Real Name
Chris
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
Here is one I had on my phone. The light is off on my subject but Atleast it should give a decent example of the bokeh on it.
Next time I have some spare tome I’ll sort through some of my shots with the native 50mm and post them up.

Real Name
Ian
Same here. But I will keep my 58 as I assume its bokeh is still far more creamy than the 50/1.8
Yes, it seems that the majority of modern lenses priories sharpness over rendering.

I saw this with some Olympus m43 lenses, where lenses were extremely sharp, but had some very unattractive bokeh. They corrected this with their f/1.2 prime lenses, which are not only tack sharp but also have super creamy bokeh.

I still think that my 58mm is too soft wide open, but it sharpens up nicely at f/2 (and that rendering is just fantastic!). I’d like to send it in to be looked at, but have a trip coming up next weekend, and then another trip in late June. I’d hate to not have it back in time for my trip in late June :/

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom