Decided to invest in my hobby Nikkor 24-70 2.8

So I took the plunge last week and picked up the Nikkor 24-70 2.8 and all I have to say is WOW.http://picasaweb.google.com/digitaldreamwerx/Aug14OttawaNightTime
Shots were all taken at night obviously and I was just out to experiement with the sharpness of the lens and f stops. I'm very impressed with this lens and will be attending a wedding this weekend as well as a car show where this will be my lens of choice. It was a pretty penny but I think it'll be worth every cent! :biggrin:

if you really want to show off the shots, you need to correct the tilt and not cut off the top of your photos. did you use a tripod? I recommend you do for all night shots...Post Processing helps give the photos "POP"

I bought my 24-70 from puddleduck here in the forum and I also love it (going to sell The Beast). Apart from the optical quality I like that it is distinctly slenderer than the 28-70 and thus handles better.

CHeers

P

Paul.r.lindqvist

I bought my 24-70 from puddleduck here in the forum and I also love it (going to sell The Beast). Apart from the optical quality I like that it is distinctly slenderer than the 28-70 and thus handles better.

CHeers
Its funny, its actually the opposite for me, i much prefer the old "design" (build wise) of the 28-70/2,8 compard to the new 24-70/2,8 (wich i own now) I like the "feel" and balance of the old one, i really never warmed up to the 24-70/2,8 handling wise. Its superior optically no doubt, but still...:wink:

Congrats on your new lens. I'm still pondering should I give up my 17-55 for either the 24-70 or 28-70. But I'm afraid I may miss the wide end if I make the swap.

Its funny, its actually the opposite for me, i much prefer the old "design" (build wise) of the 28-70/2,8 compard to the new 24-70/2,8 (wich i own now) I like the "feel" and balance of the old one, i really never warmed up to the 24-70/2,8 handling wise. Its superior optically no doubt, but still...:wink:
Actually, the girth of the lens was not the ultimate criteria which led to the decision to buy it. As a matter of fact I don't have small hands so I don't really care, but I have to admit I prefer the slenderer version. What really made me buy it was that 4mm more at the wide end are a lot on the D3 :smile:

Cheers

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
if you really want to show off the shots, you need to correct the tilt and not cut off the top of your photos. did you use a tripod? I recommend you do for all night shots...Post Processing helps give the photos "POP"
A tripod was used in this case, but it was a jobber at best, something just to hold the camera somewhat still. I'm waiting for the next sale at Henry's to get something like a Manfrotto (saving every little bit helps to afford that next lens right? ;))

Would you guys suggest having a monopod at the wedding tomorrow a must? I'm concerned that the church will have natural lighting and I'll have to either bump up my iso or leave my f stop at 2.8 to make sure I get better exposure.

I'm with Paul, I like the extra 4mm but don't want to let go of the beast, it feels better to me, I am trying to warm up to the 24-70; one of these lenses must go, I know.

Surreal,
It is a good idea to get to the church before the day, ask what is allowed, when you are allowed to use flash, where you have to be etc. On the day of the wedding, you don't want to get a surprise. One guy called me to second shoot on the day of the wedding, he had not visited the church and found that the church was dark, he could not use flash and he had to stand behind a rail. He also did not have a monopod. Luckily the D3 came in handy and my monopod was loaned to him (he had Canon :); he was unhappy but honestly, he was at fault for not preparing. I love weddings and had a blast, he didn't know much about me, except that I had a D3, he was tiptoeing around when the bride asked to see some images from the church, I felt sorry for him but there is no second chance when shooting a wedding. If you can't visit the area, call the church with the specific questions. I like to do a drive from my home to the venue, look for places to park before the day, just me. Enjoy the wedding!

Oops, didn't know you are not the photographer, Brad said it - no monopod. Also, remember to stay out of the photographer's line of sight, you don't want to be the 'Uncle Bob' we read about :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Would you guys suggest having a monopod at the wedding tomorrow a must? I'm concerned that the church will have natural lighting and I'll have to either bump up my iso or leave my f stop at 2.8 to make sure I get better exposure.
Since you will be a guest, DEFINITELY NO MONOPOD, leave that up to the hired photographer. Be discreet. Although that is one nice piece of glass, 2.8 is not as wide as you think. I suggest you invest in a flash if it will be dark (if allowed).

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom