Decision on lens - help!

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by sbutchin, Sep 24, 2005.

1. sbutchin

sbutchin

Mar 1, 2005
    NJ
    Hi - have a choice to make re lens purchase - and of course i have to do it asap - i'm shooting sports - which would you choose - 100-300 4.0 or an 80-400 4.5-5.6 - thanks so much -
    :smile:

2. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

3. You have not indicated what sports your are talking about photographing so that makes it difficult to advise you. I have shot many sports with my 70-200mm f2.8 and even that was too long for some of them. Then of course there is football and baseball where this may not be long enough, depending on where you are positioned. I have the 300mm f2.8 and have used that with the TC 1.4 to good advantage. Personally I try to get the best position that I can and let the play come to me. While shooting the World Senior Games I used my 17-55mm more than any other lens. Because I was an authorized photographer I did get the most choice locations to shoot. I covered all kinds of sports at that event.

I have not used either of the lenses you mentioned so the only advise I could give would be to go with the widest lens opening you can afford. Light will almost always be poor for shooting fast moving subjects.