Decisions, decisions

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Beezle, Dec 13, 2005.

1. <ramble alert caused by long work hours lately>

So I was on the verge of finally buying myself a decent long lens. 200 f2 or 300 f2.8 survived the process. The 200 being attractive because of its incredible image quality wide open and not so long that I can't use it indoors.

But that is a serious investment, and I haven't shown enough interest in long shooting to justify firing quite so large a torpedo into the side of my toy budget.

Then again it IS a chicken/egg thing. And yeah, birds of prey land on my fence several times per week so I don't even need to get in my car to "need" a long lens. There's also the kids and the many things they will be doing that would call for it. And I don't think i would be happy with anything less, though I guess the 300 f4 would be a decent compromise if it had VR.

Such is gear lust, I suppose. To be perfectly honest, I enjoy the dickens out of it, even when I don't spend the money. I learn a lot along the way.

Oh, and I did decide to buy myself a consolation prize. The 85 PC. :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: I am also buying all of that new flash stuff as soon as I can.

I figure it will be a while before I figure out how to improve my floral still lifes using that lens. Let the fun begin!

PS, I never did find a source of examples form that lens! Why is that? I'll be happy to supply some if they turn out well enough.

2. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

3. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Cool. The 85 is sort of my grail lens, but I opted for a home-made version. As for the long lens, have you got or used a 180 f/2.8? I'll bet if you like that lens (and it's not too expensive) you'd really enjoy the 200 VR lens.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  4. You know, I should buy that 180.

I've been slightly frustrated by the 70-200 VR in that I don't seem to know how to reliably get decent images out of it. It IS capable, I've seen it! I'll get a beautiful, contrasty, warm shot at 1/250 then utter crap at 1/1000. Same f stop!

Paul, those big lenses are so very expensive, even for someone that allows himself such an obscene toy budget as I do. But everyone has limits and the wife wants a bigger house and I live where I live. :rolleyes:

I also actually try to drive these pursuits (I hate the word hobby) by the work I do. If I am getting somewhere, learning, then it is worth it. And I need a year or two to catch up with my gear as it is. I am also taking a long break from buying any camera bodies. Skip a generation or two and let them improve.

5. Here is a perfect example. I'll TRY to get a decent shot with the VR at decent shutter speeds, and I just can't get anything sharp.

Then I'll do as I have this week and just leave it on my D2X and use it every chance I get. Practice! And I will try anything, including free standing hand held, 1/30s at f2.8. What do I get?

[​IMG]

Why? :wink:

6. Why not give the 80-400VR a try? I know it is not a prime but in good light it is a very good performer, and it takes you to 400.... If you get a used one you can always resell it.. this from 10 feet at 400 or so last year

7. Can't argue with the quality of that shot.

How was the lens mounted for that one?

8. Handheld!!! It does really well close up. I also have a Kirk special replacement collar for it with support that really helps on a tripod. Then I turn off the VR....

What is important with this lens is that it needs light, it is not a low light lens.

9. Raindog

Raindog

Nov 26, 2005
    Asheville, NC
    The 200/2 is an extraordinary lens, my favorite by far. In the range that I work within it is perfect. For sports I can double-strap it on one shoulder and carry another body with a shorter (depending upon the field) lens on the other shoulder.

10. The 85PC is an aweome piece of glass, congratulations! :biggrin:

I honestly don't think I've used a sharper lens (and that includes the rest of the Micros, the 85/1.4, the 105DC, the 300/2.8 II, the 200-400VR...)

But I'm not jealous becuase there's one on the front of my D2HS right now! :biggrin:

Ming