Dedicated Folders

When I shoot a set it goes into a folder lets say called ' folder A '. When I turn off the camera and then back on I want it to create a new folder say ' Folder B '. In short I dont want all the pictures in the same folder. Is there a way to do this? I have looked in the manual but may have missed it.

Nikon D5100.

Andrew

5100 lets you create new folders, you'd just have to do it by hand each time you want to. I used to do that during trips to help keep pics, at least in folder per each day to make digging through a bit easier.

Thank you both. I was hoping there was a way to get it to do that ' auto ' but no such luck. Manual it is.

Many thanks for the help.

Andrew

Thank you both. I was hoping there was a way to get it to do that ' auto ' but no such luck. Manual it is.

Many thanks for the help.

Andrew

You're setting yourself up for picture loss with multiple folders on a card. You will forget to switch folders and put photos in the wrong folder. At some point, you will forget to check a folder for new photos because you thought you had already copied everything from there the day before. Then you'll format the card, and away go a bunch of photos.

Better to use your transfer software to deal with the folders for multiple shooting sessions. I use Nikon's ViewNX2 which has their transfer utility built in. It automatically creates folders on the harddrive for each day's shooting. It can rename files and name folders according to almost any pattern you choose. If I have two different shooting sessions in a single day, I just manually select some of them and let Transfer do its work. Then, I select the rest and let Transfer finish copying any photos on the card.

There are other utilities that are good at this and some might say even better. I get along with Nikon's software, so I haven't bothered investigating the rest.

I will have my laptop with me. I'll install View NX2 on it. If I need help with this can I call on you again please?

Andrew

I'll honestly just say that its nice to have even the basic feature there, than simply not.

Latest threads

Top Bottom