Deer hunting - Florida style!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TOLady, Nov 4, 2005.

1. Friend sent me these.... Lake George near Ocala. Water-skiing, anyone??? Just THINK how big this 'gator has to be when compared to the size of a deer!!???
    original.
    View attachment 17675

2. Sandi WOW that gator is swimming with a 80-115 pound deer in its jaws... incredible shot scary to say the least

3. I dunno Sandi, I think you can take him...:wink:

4. Mike, just think of what it must feel like to be taken down by one of these guys!!!!??? I saw a news report of a couple living in FLA on the backwater. Father and son fishing at the end of their long dock, 'gator jumps out of water and takes 4 year old son... never seen again. A few years later, same father, next son, fishing at the end of the same dock, and yup, you guessed it - Ol' Faithful came back and grabbed the second son. This time the parents were charged! How stupid can you get!!??? When people see these creatures just laying low in the water, they don't think they're a threat but you have to remember: how do they feed????

5. LOL aat harris!
    Neat shots Sandi, sure you want to go THERE?????
    Dave

6. Well hopefully they dislike the taste of plastic and don't like the color of your kayak, be careful down there

7. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Uh, Sandi....I sure don't want to see any shots of gator tonsils, so be careful. :rolleyes:

8. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
  9. Yes well:eek: Having seen Australian salt water crocs and what they can do I thought your American alligators were pussy cats in comparison. However I was recently staying on South Padre Island and did quite a bit of birding in the nature reserve at the convention centre. Now it is not a very big reserve and when I saw this notice I thought "oh yes - just a ploy to keep visitors from straying - probably a three footer if there is one at all".

Anyway on the last day there my wife and I wandered along the board walk and nearly jumped out of our skin when we saw this monster which must have been 12foot plus long:

Our first thought was that some joker had put a plastic model out but :biggrin: it winked at us and began to close its mouth

We were assured that she had been in the area for years and that she was very rarely seen. Another couple who saw it said they had been going to the reserve off and on for five years and that was the first time they had seen her. We were assured by those who should know that it is a she not a he:smile:

The pics were taken with a D1H 80-400 VR combo at the 400mm end and she is resting in 6ft+ high reeds.

10. In other words, pay attention to the signs! :wink: Great photos there - pardon my ignorance re Nikon lenses, but is VR the same as IS in the Canon line? Stabilization when hand-held??

11. Yes

12. Harris, you're a riot - and thanks for your faith in me!!!

Dave, apparently the 'gators are only in the fresh water areas, not salt or briney, so I'm sticking to the coast for sure!! When I was in the Keys last Nov, a fisherman on a pier told me about a hammerhead behind me. I turned around and couldn't see him so I asked "where, by the buoy?" "NO, RIGHT BEHIND YOU, about six inches behind the back end of your boat!!!". I paddled VERY carefully towards the shore, VERY carefully - all the time thinking "do NOT become shark food, do NOT become shark food...." Talk about heart racing!! LOL

Thanks Mike, I always keep my eyes open, esp for movement of living objects... I have a very healthy respect for Mother Nature.

Thanks Flew, a buddy of mine does a lot of camping and photography up in Algonquin, which is bear country. He has a saying "always check my last shot!"

Thanks Leigh, I'm sure these pics have been around the net but it was the first time I'd seen them. Thanks for the clarification - so this means they're closer to Jarrell!!! LMAO

WOW Dave, what a story!! Great shots too, I'm hoping to NOT have an opportunity to get any, except at a wildlife refuge or something. This is MY idea of a 'gator!!!!
    original.

13. The Snopes page says: In August 2004, the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service (USFWS) finally cleared up the issue by issuing a press release identifying the photographs as having been taken in south Georgia (near the Georgia/South Carolina border) by a USFWS officer in March 2004:

I'd like to know what part of South Georgia touces South Carolina. According to my maps, South Carolina is north of Georgia.

Woody

14. Excellent Point!!

Could it be another one of those internet legends?? In any case, I'm sure Sandi will be careful!! :smile:

15. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Diane,

Yes, VR is essentially the same as Canon IS. :smile:

16. yes diane that is correct, smae thing. Wow to Dave Rosser's shots!

17. Wood, SCarolina is actually north and east of Georgia and I think Georgians refer to Savannah as part of the state south... Yes, it's a strange way to word the location, that's for sure!

18. SteveK

SteveK

Mar 16, 2005
    Alaska
    Sandy, I've seen gators in the ocean on the shores of Cumberland Island, so they do sometimes go into salt and brackish waters.

19. Oh joy, thank you, Steve, for that dilectable little morsel of info, makes me feel so much better!! :eek: :eek: :eek: I was told that info by one of the locals, so he might not be a live local if he believes it!! :biggrin:

20. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    They are in salt and brackish water in Florida.

They can dump a canoe or kayak very easy.

So do be careful Sandi and go with a guide. Not good to go in unknown waters alone, unarmed.. :>)))