1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Definite Lust - Sigma 150-500mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM APO AF

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Carole, Sep 5, 2008.

1. Carole

Carole

Jun 15, 2008
    Bellingham, WA
    In the words of Will Smith "I gotta get me one of these!!" I can just imagine the whale shots that I'll be able to get with this. I was saving for a Nikon 80-400, but that is close to $1500. This is $979 and from the review I just read is well worth the money.

I'm going to be taking the course to become a certified marine naturalist next spring, so I have a lot of time to save. Of course, I'd love to save enough to attach this to a D300, so we'll have to see how much I can save between now and then. Or maybe I should go buy a lottery ticket :) 

Carole

2. Tektrnica

Tektrnica Guest

Id be carefull, there are a few reviews that say its a good lens BUT there are the same amount that says it isnt... I was looking at it to, but tbh, I think ill be going for something else, i dunno yet. I have "other" lenses of high prioraty to buy first (namely a wide angle and the CZ Makro) but yeah, watch out for them...

3. gregDT

gregDT

Apr 27, 2008
    London UK
    I bought this a week ago and it is tricky to use at 500mm and keep images sharp. In fact I would go as far as to say at f6.3 and 500mm pics will not be sharp. But who does 100% crops and a bit of sharpening on the computer should produce perfectly fine images..... or that's my hope.

I've been given lots of advice in my sigma 150-500 thread on this forum, about using a monopod or tripod and trying to shoot through the middle of the lens when I can i.e. shoot at f11 or there abouts.

Good luck though for less than $1000 I still think it's a great purchase.

4. bharada

bharada

May 25, 2006
    SF Bay Area, CA
    I'm waiting for the UPS truck to pull up today with mine. :) 

5. mood

mood

Jun 27, 2007
    So Fla
    I agree Carole
    though I am eyeing the 120-400

Bill...please post some shots and give your impressions when you can...

6. Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  7. Carole

Carole

Jun 15, 2008
    Bellingham, WA
    Hmm, the comment about using it at 500 is making me think. That's what I really want it for. I want to get closer shots of the orcas out here. (For those who haven't noticed, they are my passion :smile: I would really appreciate it if those of you who have it would shoot things at 500mm so I could see how it does.

PopPhoto did a review on it this month, and they had a couple of shots. They were taken at 500mm with both the OS on and off. There was definitely a difference. Since the new laws out here require that boats go no nearer than 100 yds from the orcas, I do get good shots with my 70-300, but I'd like something more for next year. I was looking at the Nikon 80-400, but it's like $1500, and this is $979. That's a BIG difference, and I'm wondering if the Nikon would give me better images or if I should go with this.

Carole

8. gregDT

gregDT

Apr 27, 2008
    London UK
    This is the thread I started. These pics have had some post processing but nothing major. This was my very first time out with the lens and although I had great light I am sure with practice I can do better.

As mentioned these were posted only for a look at the sharpness of the lens. As actual compositions I am well ware of their failings :smile:

All bar the giraffe were shot at 500mm with the lens wide open at f6.3

https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=186262

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  9. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    One thing worth noting is the way that the autofocus systems work on the Nikkor vs the Sigma, the Nikkor is traditional AF screw drive which is known to be pretty slow particually on entry level bodies like our D50s which lack the clout to push the big stuff around. Conversly the Sigma has HSM (which is like Nikon AFS) and therefore will focus faster and quieter than the Nikkor offering, most importantly this focus speed isn't really effected by the body you will be using.

So allthough the Nikkor may well offer higher overall IQ the Sigma's extra focus speed may well mean that you get shots that the Nikkor wouldn't be quick enough to catch.

10. it might only be $979 for a reason
    I remember when I got a 50-500 and thought it was such a great deal before I used it

the 80-400vr is $1400+ for a very good reason, it captures amazing images...
    there may not be any 'good deals' out there

I got my 80-400 for $1K used in mint condition with the original receipt and warranty card so I probably got a 5yr warranty

[​IMG]

11. Wileec

Wileec Guest

If price is key . . .

. . . I would suggest the Tamron 200-500mm may be worth a look. I did a ton of online research and did some comparison shooting at the local photog shot and it turned out to be a good option for me - but I'm always on dry land, and usually with a tripod.

One key thing to keep in mind. If you plan on shooting from a boat - you may always be in motion - which can be tough to deal with when shooting with high focal length. So VR, OS, etc, may be a requirement for the conditions you will be shooting from. You might try taking some shots with your 70-300 with VR off to see if that's even a viable option for the shooting conditions you will be in.

12. If it's the 80-400VR you're lusting for but can't justify the price, why not look at the 120-400 OS? Also, take some of your 70-300VR shots and crop them to a 400mm FOV... and then to a 500mm FOV. See if 400mm offers enough reach... if not, that may make your decision for you too.

13. Carole

Carole

Jun 15, 2008
    Bellingham, WA
    Thanks for that info, Robert. I am hoping to be able to save enough for this and a D300 by next summer. I am planning on taking the marine naturalist training out here and will be out on a boat quite a bit with the orcas. I'd like to be able to contribute my photos to the research they are doing, so I need to get close enough to be able to ID each of them.

I know there are always going to be good and bad reviews of things, but it appears to me from the shots that were posted on here that this lens will do what I want. And I'm glad it will do it on both the D50, and the D300 should I be lucky enough to save for that :)  It's also much more in my budget than the 80-400mm.

Carole

14. Carole

Carole

Jun 15, 2008
    Bellingham, WA
    Thanks, I'll take a look at that one as well. The 70-300 that I have now does not have VR. I have been lucky enough to be blessed with VERY stable hands and arms :)  I just plaster myself up against the boat, hold my breath, and shoot :) 

Carole :) 

15. Carole

Carole

Jun 15, 2008
    Bellingham, WA
    Let me know what you think. I won't be buying anything until next spring, so I have time to look around :) 

Carole

16. Carole

Carole

Jun 15, 2008
    Bellingham, WA
    Those are great shots. If I could get shots like those of the whales, I'd be a happy camper :) 

Carole

17. Carole

Carole

Jun 15, 2008
    Bellingham, WA
    That's the Sigma, correct? I just took a peek at it on B&H. It's running at $849. Maybe I have to do more research on this. I have the time, so we'll see. In the meantime, if people would post photos taken with these, and perhaps the approximate distance they were away from the subject, it would be a big help.

Thanks,
    Carole

18. Carole

Carole

Jun 15, 2008
    Bellingham, WA
    What did you not like about the 50-500? And I wish I could find the deals you guys find. I can never find a used one :frown:

Carole

19. IQ was ok to aweful, sometimes it was ok, usually it was aweful

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.