Deformed bird(s) -- Caution! Somewhat disturbing!

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Kevin Scott, Jul 9, 2005.

1. While at Gatorland last weekend, I saw something I've never seen before. I'm not sure if this is a deformity or some type of fungus or what. After reviewing my pictures, I noticed that I caught either the same bird with the ailment or possibly more than one bird suffer, but here's a flight shot of a tri color with the strange lump on his beak.

[​IMG]

While I was shooting the flamingos, I happened to notice this guy on the shoreline. I was really close along with my 300 + 1.4x so it's a rather closeup shot. Don't scroll if you're easily grossed out....

I'm kind of curious if anyone's ever seen anything like this. I felt bad for the guy....
    [​IMG]

2. Holy ...
    That doesn't look very good to me.
    On the other hand, he (or she) looks healthy.
    The feathers look ok to me.

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Good images keven.

that really is sad.

People are not taking very good care of our environment.

4. It is sad. Makes you wonder how this happens. You can see little lumps forming elsewhere on his face. This is still a juvenile as he still has a few wirey hairs on his head.

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Kevin,
    I was thinking you might want to take these pics to the local Bird folks. They may want to investigate.

Perhaps some invironmental causes that can be discovered and taken care of. Hopefuly.

6. I'm clueless about these agencies. Do you have a suggestion as to whom I should contact?

7. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    You probably have local Audubon in your area. Do a google search and see if you can find it.

I'll keep thinking.

8. ARGH!! That is gross!! :shock: :shock: :shock: